Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Job Joe! We just started a club here in the Hudson Valley yesterday, The Hudson Valley Wine and Homebrewers Club.
Maybe we can brainstorm one day!

Wine clubs

:u WHY NOT AND ONCE YOU GET STARTED WE CAN DO A CLUB SWAP,WE'VE ALREADY DONE THIS IN VIRGINIA,AND WEST VIRGINIA,WORKED OUT GREAT.:u

Perfect! Great idea!! I want to use, with your permission, some of the info that you have provided in the "When good wines go bad" post, the differences between meta and sorbate, and so on, great info, and will make great handouts.

Data

:wy I'll MAIL TO YOU SOME OF THE HAND OUTS i USED ,THIS WILL BE HELPFUL TO START WITH,BY AL- MEANS TAKE WHAT EVER INFO YOU NEED,THAT'S WHAT WINE MAKINGS ALL ABOUT,WATCH OUT FOR YOUR PACKAGE,OK.:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try

The journey

In the life of every wine club there comes a time when you have the pitfalls, and you'll have arises .today South Jersey winemakers are once again coming to the top .;

This was the first meeting for me with the vineland redevelopment Association ,. This is a group of people give the time freely back to the community some backing from state and local government, but not much .

The goal, was to expand their wine Festival , directive for the South Jersey winemakers was to help them get their . . The venue is small at this point in time , . The question was what we do ?

We start of the meeting with the pledge of allegiance which I thought was well done . . T. TheThe first question to me. What should we? the next question to me was, How should we do?

I began to tell him that from an outsiders viewpoint, not just winning a medal is enough feedback all winemakers one feedback , whether it's good , bad or indifferent you one feedback .
Secondly, need to have a starting point , , a middle and, a finish.
Thirdly, if it is a wine festival then you should have not just judgesjudging the wine,but outside participation from the patriots .

Example: hammonton wine contest held by the Rotary club.
usually .There's 19 flights.. That equates. to 19 Tbles.of. wine. .Broken down into different categories,. you're Yrought in on a specific date. will s W April 1,. but th Bcontest itself.doesn't often 21st.Til,. . that g Tes the Rotary club. an ide . of how Oany wines are to be judged.how many judges to. . even t Eugh the contest. doesn' Dgo off.till 21st. this a To tells them. what t We of set up. They need. as far As logistics,. the ju Te's choice awards from first,.that entry fee is $20 per bottle three bottles per entry....... one bo Ole is. for ju Fing.. The other two are for the flight table. on the night of the even. judges Jlready have. the fi Tings. the balance of the people are invited to come in. . for a Fminal fee. a five Aollars. to tas T and judge the . wines.,This thThis then becomes the People's. So why Miller has two opportunities when the judges choice and or the people .. Very cool concept and it works ........... But still no feedback :u

The journey

:bFOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T READ THIS LATEST POST TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT AND FOLLOW ALONG MY BE IT WILL HELP YOU START A WINE CLUB.:wy

GO BACK TO THE JOURNEY

The wine Festival

Re-creating a festival that has been around for decades isn't an easy thing to do trying to get the participants who have been there for a while all volunteer may I add, cut a starstruck when I said to them, charge for your entry fees at least $10 per entry, they looked at me as a file came from another planet, I also stated that they should have staging tables and people pouring the wines by classification at each table.:br

We then called each table a flight and the fact that we need to get the wine and much earlier than they do. Example wine competition tasting and judging is on the 27th. We at least need the wine and by the 14th so that we could. One – not how many wines we have that will set up how many flights. We need and how many people we need to supervise each flight, remember this is all volunteer, we need to have it indoors. In case of inclement weather, the judging will be done by professional judges this day I have always thought from our change, but will will change is the amount of wine that will begin to flow into the process. That process is a start earlier not on the same day that the judging is done.:br

Here's how they do it right now, the festival is on the 27th, the wines are to be delivered on the morning of the 27th, the judging will take place that day the awards will be giving out that night, and of story. You can expand it wine competition and think it could be all accomplished in one day. That's my advantage. So I Think as most wine competitions do getting their wine early sets the stage. Now, this also can be a double-edged sword, this is normally a local competition not too high turnout and maybe $10 is a lot to ask. Or maybe not, I could just hear someone say I've got a pay you $10 for tasting my wine, and the answer is yes as long as you're getting feedback as long as you're not just getting an award for placing as long as you're getting feedback. This is the difference between wine competitions run properly and wine competitions they just hand out medals, granted the metals are nice accountability self-esteem and believe me, I can appreciate that. But if you had both the metals and the feedback then that becomes a competition. Also, I stated that maybe we can have a wine tasting at the same time after the judging is done by the judges and the people who comment a small admission fee say three or five dollars , for that he wine tasting chart very simple to use. Actually it's a Cal Davis chart scoring points on a variety of wine characteristics taste their wines scoring judge and now you have another category called the People's choice.:br

Now becomes a festival. Not only do you have professional judges judging the wine you have everyday people also judging the wine and believe me, I've been in this country competition is remarkable how different the judges view a wine as opposed to the patrons.

The journey continues:mny

Flaws and faults

:uIn winetasting, there is a distinction made between what is considered a flaw in a fault. Not all of us to recognize this we seem to taste something that shouldn't be there or detect an aroma that isn't quite right this can be a false or it could be a defect you should be able to understand as a winemaker and I know this takes time the difference between the two big difference between sorbate, metabolic sulfite the difference between capitalization, and backsweetening, such as the difference between wine flaws and faults.:u

:u Wine flaws are minor attributes that depart from what is perceived as a normal wine characteristic. These include excessive sulfur dioxide, volatile acidity or brett aromas Or buttery aromas. The amount to which these aromas or attributes become excessive is dependent on the particular taste and recognition threshold of a wine taster. Generally, a wine exhibiting these qualities is still considered drinkable by most people. However, some flaws such as a volatile acidity and a brett can be considered if all when they are in such an excess that they overwhelm other components of the wine. Wine falls are generally major attributes that make a wine undrinkable to most wine taster's. Examples of wine for faults includeaqcetaldehyde and ethyl acetate and cork taint..:u

:u So were going to take a look at the ones that you're most familiar with the ones I see posted all the time on this forum and by going through each one and if you're smart you'll either download the information and put into a file or printed out and read to your workstation where you make the wine so that you have a one hand worksheet to use it to refer to, these are some of the is going to look into these are the characteristics that you usually see and/or taste, smell of rotten eggs, smell of vinegar, smell of rancid butter, small of the basement, wet cardboard or newspapers and mushrooms, small barnyard, smaller fake candy banana flavoring, smell of burnt rubber and or cooked cabbage, smell of cooked fruit with walnuts also detectable visually by permit Browning or yellowing of wine, smell of crushed dreams smell of burnt matches. Can also come across as prickling sensation to the nose.:u

:u Really go into these and more because not too far off in the distant future the Chilean wines will be coming in or maybe you're looking at it a kit, and have went through some of these embarrassments before and want to try and save your money and figure out where you went wrong.............. stay tuned.....:u

Looking forward to more on this, Joe. As a new winemaker and someone with a developing pallete, I can tell sometimes that something isn't quite right with a wine, but can't put my finger on it; much less know how to fix or prevent it.

Detecting wine faults

THIS IS A QUESTION AND ANSWER LESSON GOING ON IN THIS FORUM AND THE ENTIRE WINE INDUSTRY EVERY DAY,THE WAY THE PRODUCT IS HANDLED,PROCESSED AND SOMETIMES EVEN PACKAGED AND THEN ARRIVES TO US AS A KIT OR FRESH JUICE,EVENTS CAN CHANGE IT'S LIFE CYCLE ALONG THE WAY THAT CULMINATES AT YOUR DOOR STEP AT NO FAULT TO YOU.GOT IT!.......OR IS IT????????/:a1

STAY TUNED AND LEARN WITH ME THE DO'S AND DON'T S............IT COULD BE HAPPENING TO A BOTTLE NEAR YOU...........:ft

Bottling time

FINELY got around to bottling my Cosmo wine for my lady,2 /3gallon kits,I find it's easier to do big one large batch as apposed to two small one's,well there done,bottled and labeled.:try

coffee port done at last,nice package when finished,tweaked it ,OF COURSE,even nicer package bottled labeled and drinkable right now.:HB

Back on track

THE main difference between a fault and a defect is that the flaws and faults are minor:wy

defects are not,they can be visually see and the aromas are quit pronounced,ever had one ?:wy
Improper handling ,over exposure to oxygen and other contaminants,poor sanitation and a host of other entities can detract from your wines performance and you end result as a wine maker .There isn't a wine maker out there who hasn't run into some kind of fault or defect in his or hers wine making experience.

SO lets start wine OXIDATION,THE BIGGEST PROBLEM FOR SOME.:wy

TO BE CONTINUED

Wine wine competition

Meeting number two, the groundwork is now set, Katie grant myself went to the meeting this morning and presented them with proposals for changing the format and how they could expand the wine event. We went over some of the basic format principles of how we as winemakers pay and send our wines to differ wine contest across the country. We went entry fees, how many bottles, labeling – you affix with the bottles, the do's and don'ts of sending to us. I think this went over very well, now we have to sit down formulating and form with all the I 'S and tee'S cross. We have two weeks to get this done and annually presented to the committee. It was a very good morning.:i

Vineland wine Festival continues............:gn

Vineland wine competition

Finally Katie grant myself have our format down on how we wish to proceed with the entry forms fees and the normal process of holding a full-fledged wine contest. I am taking notes on the Missouri wine contest as well as others. Those that I have entered an those that I have not. We came up with our own plan and basically it is a culmination of everything that we read wrapping too expensive.

Although my bottles got crushed going to Missouri. I am going to enter in Hammonton wine contest this week it does not come off till around 27 th of March but is a big contest around here is backed by the Rotary club and they themselves have you humongous wine group, tough to break into this crowd. We did a few years ago medium five my fellow winemakers from our South Jersey winemakers group and we won in won big, this year I am going to enter my BlackBerry 2009 wine in the forms competition, my piesporter 2011 in the whites, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 and last but not least my coffee port this year. It is outstanding the way finished my additions. This will be added in the into the dessert wine competition, it is a $40 fee for the wines but you get a free buffet with it. I told you that they have a professional judges choice awards and data peoples choice awards. This is a very unique wine competition for not only do have real professional wine judges tasting this and they are you also have everyday people doing a blind wine tasting competition. The only thing they know is the type of wine. It is the only thing the judges know is what category and what type of wine it is knowing those whose wine it is except for the entry people. This is how I tried the pattern the final wine contest after because it was unique unto itself that there are two different type of judging, and believe me, I but in this contest before and does a lot of big red winemakers down here in Hammonton and this is a tough old crowd to break into, or break into it. I will. Gino Pinto should be in this competition also is a great person has a great wine school I have a lot of respect for him. So this should prove interesting. There will also be a few wine schools in these classification which is even very cool when you beat them. Well, this Thursday will see how I make out with the Vineland administrative people if they accept my proposal on how to expand this wine contest at the same time I am going to expand nationally, which means all of you are invited. Stay tuned:mny

Vineland wine Festival

Okay, they - except my format on the wine Festival they'll take it to the main Council of Vineland for appropriations and final backing, when this is approved within 2 to 3 weeks then, I will get the chance to meet the judges, this is something really important. I need to know who they are and on what format do they use for judging the wine?........:ualso the hammonton wine contest at the end of this week,I have 4 wines in the competition,blackberry,piesporter,cab and a coffee port ,you know the one I tweaked.........win or lose this will give me a great chance to 3dit what these people(rotary club)have done their format was very good ,but will see if they have changed at all.........stay tuned.:mny

Last edited:
Estimated wine production by country on 2009 according to VWIO-Vineyard and Wine International Organisation (OIV-Organisation Internationale de la Vigne et du Vin)[59]RankingCountryProduction
(millions of hectolitres)1
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy47,6992
22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France45,5583
22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain32,5064
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States20,6205
22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina12,1356
22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China12,0007
22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia11,6008
22px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png
Chile10,0939
22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
South Africa9,78810
22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany9,18011
22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia7,11012
22px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png
Romania5,600Wine production by country 2006[60][not in citation given][61]RankCountry
(with link to wine article)Production
(tonnes)1 France5,349,3302 Italy4,963,3003 Spain3,890,7304 United States*2,250,0005 Argentina1,539,6006 Australia1,429,7907 China (People's Republic)*1,400,0008 South Africa939,7799 Germany891,60010 Chile802,441World**28,475,929* FAO estimate.
** May include official, semi-official or estimated data.
Wine production by country 2007[61]RankCountry
(with link to wine article)Production
(tonnes)1 France4,711,6002 Italy4,251,3803 Spain3,520,8704 United States***2,259,8705 Argentina1,504,6006 China (People's Republic)*1,450,0007 Germany1,026,1008 South Africa978,2699 Australia961,97210 Chile791,794World**26,416,532* FAO estimate.
** May include official, semi-official or estimated data just think about how these numbers have grown,and yet today I learned of a cabernay and chard,short fall in productions adding to the cost of each winemakers gallon and your kits.

Last edited:
Hammonton wine contest

COFFEE PORT A BIG WINNER

1ST PLACED PROFESSIONAL JUDGES CHOICE:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try

BEST IN SHOW /TOP HONORS:try

PICS TO FOLLOW,THIS ROTARY CLUB IS A CLASS ACT ,THEY HAVE LEARN HOW TO PUT ON A SHOW AND A SHOW THEY DO ,GREAT FOOD AND GOOD MANAGERIAL CONTROL OF THE EVENT,i HOPE i CAN MIRROR THEM IN SOME ASPECTS IN VINELAND.

PICS. TO FOLLOW.:dg

Vineland wine festival continued

PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE,YES WE ARE GOING TO HAVE THE WINE TASTING CONTEST (PEOPLES CHOICE AWARDS)AND PROFESSIONAL JUDGES AWARD ,I think I have them changing their time frame venue to September,instead of august,there will be a $10.00 entree fee per bottle three bottles required($10.00)total,you have been through this before,I will meet with the judges to see in written comments will be obtainable,this is what I prefer.:tryit's about time we moved forward on the project,but small towns and big events take a lot of input from the city conceal:try,until later,,,,,,,,,stay clean.

Going off line for a week

GPOING OFF LINE FOR A WEEK........................:wy

Latest posts

Back