Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cleaning up

stay tuned Katie and I are going to post our way of delabeling and sanitizing bottles in process format...newbies, this is for you.:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy

raisins in the sun

grapesA.jpg
Lion raisins begin the journey from our own vineyards and from several hundred other California growers. From the start, our vineyards and our grapes are managed with extensive care to ensure the best raisin crop possible. In the fall, at the peak of their sweetness, the grapes are carefully and naturally dried. Lion Raisins primarily favors early ripening varieties that are dried on the vine and in the shade of an overhead trellis. These varieties, as well as the “DOV” production and processing method, are superior to black sun-dried Thompson Seedless raisins that are laid on the ground to oxidize and bake in the direct sun-light. These lighter-colored DOV raisins grade higher by the USDA, are cleaner, more freeflowing, meatier, better tasing, and more eco-friendly than sun-dried raisins.Once the raisins have dried sufficiently, they are placed in large bins to store until processed. At Lion's processing plant, the bins of raw raisins are stacked and covered until they are ready for processing.

A LITTLE FRUIT FOR THOUGH!:db

THE USE OF RAISINS AND OTHER DRIED FRUIT IN WINE HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR CENTURIES,HAVE YOU TRIED ?///////////////??????????????????????????????????:ft

Thought I would add pictures of my basement/wine cellar. These pictures were taken right before I hosted the NJ Amateur Winemaker's meeting a few months ago.

20130127_124550.jpg

20130404_195032.jpg

20130404_195038.jpg

20130404_195048.jpg

20130404_195056.jpg

20130127_124611.jpg

20130127_124622.jpg

Racking time- Manual style

Here's some pictures of me and a buddy doing some wine racking.
He was racking his ferdona and niagra from 2012 from Walkers.
After we racked it, we used one-step to clean out the carboy. (see the pics).
It's 1 tbsp. per gallon. It's an oxygenating cleaner that works wonderfully. I add it to the bottom of the carboy then start adding the hot water. It will fizz. Fill the carboy to the tippy top and let it sit for a few days then rinse. Voila! Crystal clear carboy with no scrubbing. :)

20130530_191907 - Copy - Copy.jpg

20130530_191959 - Copy - Copy.jpg

20130530_192039 - Copy.jpg

20130530_192141 - Copy.jpg

20130530_192555 - Copy.jpg

20130530_193900 - Copy.jpg

20130530_204659 - Copy (2).jpg

20130530_204703 - Copy - Copy.jpg

20130530_204716 - Copy.jpg

Vineland NJ Amateur Wine Competition Aug 10 2013

Vineland NJ is holding their annual Amateur Wine Competition to be held in the city of Vineland, NJ.
It's free to enter, just send in 3 bottles.
I am attaching the form for everyone to download.
Instructions are on the form.
I wont be entering as I will be helping orchestrate it, so now all of you have a chance to win!!
funny20194.gif
Innocent.gif

Cheers!
Joeswine

View attachment 2013 wine competition entry form.pdf

Sangiovese and review

Let's review the process for wine expert sangiovese kit along with the tweaks that I do ,follow the process asked questions think outside the box:wy

1 Our Kit.jpg

2 Preparation.jpg

3 The type of yeast.jpg

4 Add half gal  of hot water.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

7 Open juice.jpg

8 Dump juice in.jpg

9 add half gal to bag.jpg

10 Top up with another gal spring water to 6 gal.jpg

11 stir up.jpg

Sangiovese continued sangiovese continued

Process continued.............:wy

12 added 2 bags french oak.jpg

13 take SG reading.jpg

14 write SG on  tag.jpg

15 hang tag on pail.jpg

dip in boiling water.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

the ferrari bottle filler.jpg

fitting the seal onto the bottle.jpg

the tool.jpg

Sangiovese the end

Sangiovese, we took a basic wine kit and I believe transformed it into something special ,these are the final pics for now on this particular kit hope you enjoy the ride as needed, rent turn our attentions to party wines, as the summer keeps rolling in ,thanks for following hope you'll stay tuned .:try

Yours, Joe and Kate

dip in boiling water.jpg

seals.jpg

labeled (1).jpg

labeled (2).jpg

labeled (3).jpg

wine line.jpg

Adjusting to adjust

:uNot every post is a picture post and sometimes we just need to talk for this is what I did around here today in cleanup mode, racked the pineapple wine, as well is a twisted mist fusion kit this kit is a hard lemonade rosé ,yeah that's right hard lemonade rosé and so far it's coming along quite well this is another wine expert kit one of the many party want kits that I have made and enjoy making, by the way and fun this kit make 6 gallons of hardened rosé lemonade and has two fusion packages and the standard compliment of chemicals and finding agents I will show you a picture of it when it's all done ,also today I tasted my strawberry wine for the first time now this was a pure concentrate from a company called Walker's I know some of you heard of them they make a really fine product and I mean really fine, catch s the shipping is costly and sometimes that prohibits what I would like to do with them at this time strawberry is a 1.06 SG and the taste is just awesome when I tell you awesome I mean awesome I will let that set the primary bucket for another day or two at that time I'll check. SG again and see if it has went down no matter what it's going to a glass carboy let it sent a week more to see if my SG has become s stable then apply with the chemicals and fining agents and this is going to make one hell of the strawberry wine of course it goes without saying that for every move you make physically you have to clean and that is the key in the winemaking business ,sanitation whenever you touch , should be sanitized including yourself by that I mean your hands anything that comes in to contact with the wine so it's been a very busy first half of a day here I want to get everything cleared out of the way so that when we do the wine expert selection Amarone kit and the wine expert world vineyard with moscato on Thursday that's all that will be in front of me, these will be two interesting kits to follow coming in behind them I have three cru port kits, hazelnut, coffee and caramel ports these will all be done in synchronization with the other so you can see the progression of the kits and the tweak that they will incur to make them more than they are and they are already great kits so stay tuned as more to come ,and oh , by the way did you notice on the thread, almond wine there's a new girl in town and invited her to show you what her idea of thinking outside the box is, Mezza Luna White ,interesting to see how people apply applications:u

Sangiovese in review

Were still giving a lot of chatter about the sangiovese product and the process involved in making is installed here at cleaning up for those of you who want to go back and review it I thank you for your e-mails yours respectfully JP.................. Say tuned more to come :i

Latest posts

Back