BEET WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
To plant more beet seeds????...... or..... not to plant more beet seeds....is the question????
smiley25.gif

PWP gave me a small bottle to try...she said to put it away for a long while...it's been 10 months....maybe I should just open it and give it a try....
smiley25.gif

PLANT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

I love beets thou.......

I always plant 2 rows, 1 I pick when the beet is about 1/2" to 1" round and the tops are about 8" tall. Cook beet greens and all........ Love it!

The other row I use as normal beets, cooked with vinegar and sugar.

Should I plant a third row for beet wine??? Is it any good??

Will open PWP & Bert's wine tomorrow and let you know...I am planting them this year for pickled beets...

A great use for beet juice other than making wine is to put your earthworms in it that you are going to use to fish with. Gives them a nice red color but the main benifit is that it really toughens them up, making it harder fo the fish to get them off the hook.
Sorry.........got fishing on the brain this morning
smiley36.gif

Waldo...how do you do that??? If you soak them too long they would drown...so just put a bit of beet juice in with their bedding ....or...what???

Good Luck if you go fishing....our Game Fishing season opens soon.

I was going to try that one last night....but it was Saturday and that's Sparkling Wine night....and today we bottled wine...so are having left-overs....Tell us if it's ready????

"A great use for beet juice other than making wine is to put your earthworms in it that you are going to use to fish with. Gives them a nice red color but the main benifit is that it really toughens them up, making it harder fo the fish to get them off the hook. "

Leave it to Waldo to com up with the onlygood use (IMHO) for those horrible red bulbs.

Today we racked the beet wine that I started last fall. It looks and smells wonderful! Still has the beet smell and flavor to it. (Yes Waldo, I tasted!) It also still has the magenta color and I added 1 tsp ascorbic acid to help preserve the color. (I hadn't thought to do this earlier on.) I also dropped 3 whole cloves into the carboy when we were ready to put it away.
I just opened a bottle of my first batch of beet wine. It has matured nicely. It still has an earthy flavor to it, but not like it did at bottling. I certainly has a kick to it!
smiley17.gif
Northern, go ahead and enjoy!

Waldo said:
Them suns a benches done stole my secerets
smiley36.gif
Do u think they may pay royalties Waldo, perhaps u could bottle your own and try to start a new fad. Ill order a couple from you!! and im stillwaiting to hear your answer on how u use them or what directions u have for adding them to the worms!! thanks
P.S. The trout season has been good to me lately I have been out five or six mornings the past ten days and have gotten a cpl over 2 lbs, fresh sea run trout yummmyyy!!

PWP, I can't for the life of me imagine enjoying a glass of wine that smells like beets. But if you bring some to the WineStock.........
smiley2.gif

trashy said:
PWP, I can't for the life of me imagine enjoying a glass of wine that smells like beets. But if you bring some to the WineStock.........
smiley2.gif
I WILL bring some to WineStock! The older batch has lost a lot of its beet and earthy smell. IF I have the new stuff in bottles, I can bring some of those too... Maybe a few for distritbution. It's a good thing to trade wines at WineStock. I did most of my wine trading at the hotel, not actually at the facility. That's easily done when people stay at the same hotel. So everyone, bring stuff to trade!

Don't you worry, Wade. Your day will come. It's hard when you have young children. They need a lot of your time. One day you'll realize that they've moved out and you can go to WineStock!

Latest posts

Back