Beet .. Cloudy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RkyMtnWine

Reaction score
racked this beet from primary to secondary on 7-14. Racked 3x since. Sg is 994. Have not added any campden tabs. No sediment in bottom of jug. Last racking was 10-23. Not clearing up.. any suggestions. George is sending me some bentonite. Thanks

20081117_074531_11_17_08_001_Sm.JPG

If it is done fermenting I would add some campden tabs....Also if it is done fermentingshould you degassed...CO2 will hold solids in suspension....Good luck

I agree with Bert. I would add some k-meta and stir vigorously. Just the addition of the k-meta will drive a lot of gas out as it gives precipitation points for the gas to react to. Be careful as you add it to make sure it doesn't send up too many bubbles to once. Once it has died down, stir it vigorously. Often when I do this with grapes, you can see the line where it is clarified near the top within an hour. Give it a try. If that doesn't work, try the bentonite and if that doesn't work, go to Super-Kleer KC.

Thanks for the info guys... will do on the campden and stirring. George is sending me one of those vacuum jobies for degassing... I saw it in his video... looking forward to trying that on my wines.

I'm thinking after reading the last 4 posts tonight, we have a cooking lesson or something going on her. We have celery wine, tomato wine, beet wine and ginger wine. Add them all to a kettle and simmer on low for two hours- Serves Six.

Actually does have a nice taste.. not to strong on the Beet.. although I do enjoy beets. Blindfold tested the ladies and they could pick out the beet aroma.. very faint though. Will work on it this week to get it to clear up. At this time I am leaning towards a little bit sweet.. so will have to back sweeten this.

Well... think I will start drinkin........ a lot
smiley1.gif
I will run out of storage room very very fast if I dont.

just received the vinvac from george.. comparing the first picture in this thread it certainly did help with the cloudiness. The color is quite interesting.. not sure if beet wine has this color .. maybe someone who has made it could let me know... certainly has a pink color
20081121_102228_100_2802_WinCE.jpg

20081121_102506_100_2808_WinCE.jpg

transferred to another jug.. mixed in one campden tab. The empty jug did have a thin dark line around the edges. Floaties I had before using the vin did disappear. Last picture is after the campeden tab... and using the vinvac... wow... quite a few bubbles.. Put the airlock back and and will let it sit for a while.... needs to clear up more... Sg at this point was 993. Picture quite dark... flash quit working.

20081121_103031_100_2804_WinCE.jpg
Edited by: RkyMtnWine

That's an awesome color....Going to look great in a glass.

The only beet wine we ever had was from The Polish Wine Princess...
ZPRINCESS.jpg

It was more of a tawny color....

How does yours taste?????

Have not tried beet wine before so cannot make a comparison.. tasts great though, has a faint beet smell. For some reason I thought the beet flavor would be overpowering. Believe the alc level is a little high at approx 14%. I am learning the wine lingo, I will tell you "it has nice legs". I like legs. Still needs to clear up quite a bit.. see if it clears just by sitting, if not, will have to use clarifier.

As Northern said, mine came out a tawny color. I have to figure out the secret to color preservation. Probably ascorbic acid right way.

Beet wine lost quite a bit of its color since i added camden tab on 11-21. Bit bumbed out about that. Just curious if this is normal. Pic is a bit out of focus but comparing the pic on 11-21 post.. quite a difference. You can see how light it is getting at the neck.

20081211_055642_12_10_08_002-1_.JPG

This is the 11-21 pic

20081211_060245_11_21_08_008_Sm.JPG

Did you use Ascorbic Acid???? It has claims of holding color.

My Crabapple/Apple Cyser lost it's pretty color too and I did use Ascorbic Acid on it....Tho.....Also used Super-Kleer KC and it cleared beautifully....don't know if the SK stripped it.........but, it's worth having clear wine no matter what color it turns to.

did not use Ascorbic Acid. Will just have to deal with the color.. whatever that is when it is finally cleared up. Suppose I could add red food coloring.. Naw

Think its time to get a little concerned about the beet. as stated above.. on 11-21 added campden tab and degassed. on 12-23 added 1/4 tsp sparkalloid. Since that time.. its gotten cloudier.. color is off a little in the pic... actually has a brown tint to it now. Ph 3.5, acidity .5%.

20081231_093124_12_30_08_001_Sm.JPG

Give it some Super-Kleer K-C.....
If that doesn't do it a does of Isinglass might do it.....

Keep us Posted!!!!

Never tried Sparkaloid but have heard it works well but is very harsh on wine. SuperKleer works every time for me when I need it.

Latest posts

Back