Beer Kegs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasta

Junior
Reaction score
I have been reading some information about using beer kegs to bulk age wine in. I am having trouble finding enough used carboys and demijohns at reasonable prices.

What a the thoughts of this group on the beer kegs. ? I think they are aluminum will these impart any off flavors to the wine?

Understand most of the KEGS they talk about are Corny or soda kegs. These are only 5 gallon vs wine kits are 6 gallon
Look on Amazon and the vendors here for pricing on Carboys.
Remember carboys are a ONE time investment. I have had carboys for over 10 years....

Both beer kegs and those corny kegs that Tom is talking about are Stainless steel. The problem with these kegs is that you need special bungs for the beer kegs and for cornies there really isnt an easy way at all to use a bung that I know of. You will also have to fill them up very full due to the shape of them.

Tom and Wade Thanks for the input. I knew they were more work. Everytime I find a used 5 ,6 or 15 g demijohn on craigslist they are sold faster than I can reply. Most of the wine I make is all juice so I dont always need the 6 gallon.

Do you make any beer at all cause either of those kegs can be very beneficial then. I have both Corny kegs to keep my beer carbonated and a 13.5 gallon imported keg to brew my beer in.

I do make beer also, but have not set myslef up to keg. Still brewing 5gallons and bottling by hand. The wife has turned my focus to wine as she is enjoying it very much.

I agree. Can't wait for spring so I can aquire a two keg system. Tired of washing and sanitizining bottles and waiting two plus weeks for carbonantion.

Having beer on tap makes it too easy to have beer.... I agree about the kegging it is way faster.

Both beer kegs and those corny kegs that Tom is talking about are Stainless steel. The problem with these kegs is that you need special bungs for the beer kegs and for cornies there really isnt an easy way at all to use a bung that I know of. You will also have to fill them up very full due to the shape of them.

Wade,

The cornies that I use have a plate seal and a gasket. You could simply drill a hole through the plate to accomodate a stopper and a trap. I know of a person who did this. He had to use an commerial grade drill press (the steel was very thick!)

the price of cornies are higher than the price of a glass carboy. Why ruin a cornie for a glass fermentor

What are the thoughts of this group on the beer kegs. ? I think they are aluminum will these impart any off flavors to the wine?

Hi Everyone,
I would like to re visit this question because im beer brewing/kegging guy that wants to start making Wine. I would like to know if anyone has used these 5 gallon soda kegs for there wine. Also, is there anyone that knows if there maybe a possible problem with Wine being stored in these Stanless steal or aluminum Kegs ?

Thanks
John

I have used corneys to age without drilling any holes(I get them for free)I fill them thought top, pressurize with CO2 then release pressure, then repeat. This removes all the O2 and the wine ages in a dark O2 free. I bottle the extra wine and only age 5 gallons this way

I dont use them for wine with the exception of sparkling some wine bit I cant see a problem at all with doing so as long as you purge the air out like Mike mentioned above and hit it with very little C02. It would actually be much safer then aging in a carboy. as long s there is no leak in your set up and the C02 is released.

Latest posts

Back