Been a while....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Port

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Been a while since my last post. I haven't made much wine lately but I opened a bottle of my grapefruit wine tonight and I thought I'd share my enthusiasm with those who can understand. <?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:image></v:shape>

When I bottled this one I was very disappointed, now only about 3 months later, I can't believe it's the same wine. I sweetened it just a bit at bottling, it has a nice sweet taste up front and then it dries out and you know its grapefruit. WOW! I just made this wine because grapefruit was on sale, what a payoff, probably the best wine I've made to date.

Anyway, been making gallons and gallons of beer since the wine takes so long and I have been waiting for harvest season so I can get some good fruit wines going.

Started 4 gallons of Strawberry wine, just picked enough raspberries for a 3 gallon batch and enough cherries for a 5 gallon batch. Blueberries are going to be ready next week so we will be picking enough for another 5 gallons of that.... time for more carboys! </v:image></v:shape>

Nice to see you again!

Once again it's that old patience thing.
smiley2.gif
Aging can really do a lot for a wine. Glad to hear it worked for you! Congratulations on making a fine wine!
smiley32.gif

smiley32.gif

VERY VERY COOL!

Congrats! We always love to hear some positive stuff!

Martina

Welcome back Big Port and time certianly has a way to change your wine into something great but it is the hardest part of this whole process.

Good to see you are back and glad a little aging made your wine a winner. I have a few that I am hoping age will improve.

Pete

Thanks everyone. I think making the beer in between wine has given me the patience, or at least kept me busy so I can forget about the wine and let it age a bit.
smiley1.gif
Anyway, I will try to keep up on my progress with my up comming Raspberry, cherry and blueberry wines....

Does grapefruit wine have that bitterness that some grapefruit juices have in them? You know from the white membranes? I really love eating fresh grapefruit. But am afraid to make a wine from it cause I hate the bitter white stuff.

Does grapefruit wine have that bitterness that some grapefruit juices have in them? You know from the white membranes? I really love eating fresh grapefruit. But am afraid to make a wine from it cause I hate the bitter white stuff.

Seems

Seems like

Seems like it

Big Port said:
Thanks everyone. I think making the beer in between wine has given me the patience, or at least kept me busy so I can forget about the wine and let it age a bit.
smiley1.gif
  Anyway, I will try to keep up on my progress with my up comming Raspberry, cherry and blueberry wines....

You promised her 'Nectar of the Gods'...did it turn out that way????
smiley4.gif

Kiristie, Nope, not at all, I went through a lot of work by peeling the grapefruit and adding just the juice sacks...took forever but it turned out to be well worth it!

NW, you sure do have a good memory!
smiley32.gif
I did promise her the nectar of the gods and I'd have to say I've made good on that promise, or at least she thinks so and we all know that's whats important.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Big Port

Back