Batonnage on a Pinot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff H

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing a Batonnage (http://www.brsquared.org/wine/ go to articles "Using Lees")on a MM VN Pinot Noir. I plan on using this as an early drinker while others mature. I'm concerned about oxidation so I plan to remove the airlock off the carboy and spoon stir 2 or 3 times while all other stirs will be done on a turntable. I figure one month of stiring every 3 days and then 8 - 10 days to settle then add clarifiers and bottle in another 8 - 10 days. My thinking is that it will add some body to what I figure will be a weak bodied wine at an early age. Should I be concerned about off tastes by doing this with a red wine since it seems to be typically done with whites?
2 other questions:What temp is advisable: cellar temp (59 - 62 deg F) or fermenting temp (70 - 73 deg F)? I think cellar is ok?
This kit used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. Unfortunately, I do not know what this yeasts ability to produce polysaccharides is. Anyone know?

FYI: I have racked off the gross lees so this would be done on fine lees.

Commentary: One might say - stay the course and follow the directions but this seems like a possible enhancement based upon my early drinking objective.

Thanks in advance for you consideration of my idea and your time.

Jeff

Edited by: Jeff H

I have no idea how well this would work with a red wine. The only thing I would worry about is that it could flatten the flavor and aromas of a Pinot Noir and mask it's varietal characteristics. Who knows, you could be onto something really nice there. Nothing wrong with a little innovation and creative thinking.

I'm thinking the same was as Appleman. I'd be afraid of losing instead of gaining with this wine. If I were playing with this wine and wanted to add some body, I'd consider putting it on oak for a couple of months and if it's still not to my liking I'd toss in some tannin. But that is just what I would do if it were my wine.
Good luck and let us know the whats and the hows.

Battonage on red wines has a tendency to cause off flavors like bacon fat and even rubber when up against the tannins in a red wine. However, while battonage doesn't work on reds, leaving a wine on its lees for a bit (3 to 6 months) can increase the mouthfeel in red wines. I do that all the time, but more so because I'm lazy.

For the Pinot Noir, I decided to move forward and not battonage. I have a Chardonnay in a carboy that will be ready to start the battonage process in a few days. I look forward to doing this for the first time. Next time I do a similar Pinot Noir I'm gonna split the batch into two 3 gal carboys. One I'll battonage and the other will be the "control". This way I can "measure" the results. Thanks for the responses. Regards, Jeff

P.S. I added clarifiers to the MM VN Pinot Noir today but before I did I tried a little: It tastes rather nice for a young wine and has great promise. MM makes a great product!

Joan,did youlook atthe links section? Some good technical information there. The rest of the site isfull of good info too
smiley32.gif
! I'm glad you liked it. Jeff

Just so you know Jeff, If you open a bottle in a few months it might not be as good as a lot of reds close up for awhile. Then after a total of around 8 months(this varies considerably between all wines, especially bigger kits) its comes back around with a vengeance.

Jeff H said:
Joan,did youlook atthe links section? Some good technical information there. The rest of the site isfull of good info too
smiley32.gif
! I'm glad you liked it. Jeff

There's all kinds of good info there so I bookmarked it!
smiley1.gif

Hey Wade, Ipurchased this kit as an "early" drinker but I plan to "stage" some bottles to understand thematuring process. I'm going to bottle some in 12oz beerbottles as monthly testers. Ever done this?I think PWP does this and it seems like a good idea. BTW, I look forward to the vengeance
smiley5.gif

I'm rather liking this hobby. Kelly and I started a WE World Vineyard Shiraz this evening. So now I have the MM VN Pinot Noir (I'll bottle next weekend...my first bottling), a WE VR Chardonnay (I'll stir for a month) and the WE WV Shiraz soon to bubble.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and thanks for the info. Jeff

I bought a case of green 375s and fill a few just for me from each batch I bottle. That way I can enjoy it without having to open a full bottle. I like to give the 750s away.

Latest posts

Back