Barrels on an airplane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marino

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
For the holiday, I thought it would be nice to give two little nephews a 1L barrel with their initials and the dates on them and then have some port that their parents will keep topped off until they can drink it.

I haven't worked out the logistics yet, but I've have cheap brandy in them for now and will have them add port in the future. I'm hoping this will not be an experiment in how quickly to get microbial spoilage in a barrel...

Well, my wife is going to visit one little nephew in Ohio and I thought she should take the barrel on the plane.

A few options:

1) empty the barrel and take it as a carry on with the wine in a checked bag.

2)Put the wine/brandy in the barrel, tape up the bung and spout and check the barrel

3) put water in the barrel (In case there are leaks) tape it shut and bottle the wine to pour when back on land.

One thing you might know is that the kid's parents are not very handy with this thing, so I'd like for them to be as uninvolved as possible as to reduce the chances of someone screwing up, (my original idea notwithstanding)

This day kinda snuck up on me and she's leaving tomorrow.

Oh, if you have any ideas on how to improve on the long term aging of this very small amount of wine for a very long time, I'd love to hear those too!

Marino

If you don't have any wine, port, etc. of significance in there right now, I would carry them on empty so I know I could control them not getting smashed, etc.
It sounds like the barrels are the most important part of the equation right now.
When she gets there, she can fill them up with port or whatever you want to age in there.

that's a good idea.How would it affect the barrel to be empty for that time? It's already been wet. will I open myself up to any spoilage?

Runningwolf, just rinse and empty or fly it with meta in it? Should I use the same solution I use to sanitize with to rinse?

Who will take care of the Angels while you're waiting for the recipients to come of age? :?

Yeah, that's a problem. I'm hoping the father will keep it topped but I can't be sure...at some point I can't think about the maintenance...

I was wondering what they'd do about the sulfur smell and how my wife would respond

Back