Barrel Tasting...with my biggest critic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I spent the day with the Mrs. at her stable supporting her horse interest. On the way home she asked me what I wanted to do tonight. I said, how about some barrel tasting? I asked reluctantly, since my wife of 34 years is by far my biggest critic. She has an excellent palate, good taste and not afraid to share her honest opinion.

First up 2018 Viognier- I have 25 gallons in carboys. Made the mistake of grabbing a sample and not degassing. She was not a fan “tastes like a not so good Sauv Blanc”. Fair enough. I then grabbed another sample in a small bottle, shook heck out of it. Gave it time and poured into our glasses. Way better. Got the “not bad”, which I take as a B+.

Next was 2018 Cab Franc - 60 gallon French oak barrel, cherry, raspberry notes. Got the, “oh this is going to be good” comment, meaning it’s ok, but I see where it’s going. I’ll take it.

Next was 2017 Cab Sauv- 60 gallon French oak barrel, technically it is now a blend as the original wine is now only 68% CS. I’ve thrown all my other CF 20%, Petite Sirah 8%, Petit Verdot 4% at it to blend out the perazine (vegetal notes). It’s been in barrel 15 months and will remain for another 4-6. She commented that this is the first time she has liked the CS and could see it being bottled. I’ll take that as a big thumbs up.

Next 2018 Petite Sirah - I made 80 gallons, 70 for others, kept 10 to have as blending options with the CS and CF barrels. Super dark and tannic. She noted this as undrinkable.

Next 2018 Petit Verdot - I made 30 gallons, 25 for others, kept 5 to have as blending options with the barrels. Pretty much the same reaction, not something she would ever consider drinking. However, we combined our left over PS and PV and the result was the darkest wine that I may look to bottle a case or two.

I expect nothing but honesty and appreciate the true thoughts. I feel pretty good with this year’s wine and hopefully they will continue to improve to the Mrs’s liking.

AC88C99C-E536-4D37-B1CC-047933E46292.png

Last edited:
For me, I think barrel tasting is one of the greatest privileges of a winemaker, you get to taste at different stages of the process to understand where the wine was, where it is now, and where it is going. Most people have no clue about the dramatic changes that take place.

For me, I think barrel tasting is one of the greatest privileges of a winemaker, you get to taste at different stages of the process to understand where the wine was, where it is now, and where it is going. Most people have no clue about the dramatic changes that take place.

Agree!

I like to sneak in a taste when racking, even better if there's an odd amount left over for more than a taste.

But the barrel tasting while bulk aging would be great, but I don't because of the top up issue.

Good on you @NorCal keeping your wife interested and up to speed in your hobby winemaking. I need a similar strategy.

Back