batch differences

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2020 I made 4 batches: 2 Merlot, 1 Zinfandel, and 1 Vinifera Blend (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot). From this I made 2 blends:

#1: 2/3 Merlot, 1/3 Vinifera Blend
#2: 40% Merlot, 40% Zinfandel, 20% Vinifera Blend

The blends are barrel aged and distinctly different. During the last barrel topup my son & I taste tested the wines and the barrel aged are the winners over the unoaked topup wines. No surprise here.

I kept 4 liters of each wine (Merlot, Zinfandel, Vinifera Blend) separate for comparison purposes, and bottled them tonight. The tasting of these 3 wines is the surprise.

The Merlot & Zinfandel are oddly tannic. They are only a year old and I'm not expecting them to be fully drinkable, but the tannin level is a surprise compared to the blends. OTOH, the Vinifera Blend has moderate tannins, although the color is startling. The color of the Merlot & Zinfandel are very good, unless you compare them to the Vinifera Blend. This wine is teaching black holes to absorb light.

vinifera blend.jpg

The point of this post is I mixed the remainder from each batch into a bottle. The color is very nice (probably from the Petit Verdot), but the real surprise is the tannin level. This wine is pleasantly drinkable at this point.

Blends will surprise us.

Back