barrel question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Do y'all use the oak dust, chips, cubes and so on that comes in a kit when you plan on aging in a barrel. I had some kits already aging when I got my barrel, made according to directions oak and all. Tan them through the barrel for a few weeks and one did fine but the Valpolecilla is a bot overoaked. Not bad just needs to settle down, so I moved to back to glass for a few months prior to bottling.

Kits I have started lately I have left out the oak that come with the kits and am now worried if they will not get enough oak and be bland. Specifically a MMMelioli Rojo inteniso. It is clearing now and I am thinking about doping a spiral in it for the three weeks of clearing then remove the spiral. It will carboy age for a couple months waiting it's turn in the barrel, then in the barrel for a few more months. ???

Getting ready to start the CC Carmenery/Cabernet. Thinking I should ferment with the dust. But don't know if I should use the cubes it has for secondary. ???

Hold off on the oak until after the wine spends some time in the barrel, you can always add more oak.

I wouldn't use the oak dust ,until i barrel aged ,although the dust doesn't impart heavy tannins its main feature is to make the body texture better,which in itself is a good thing..just my view
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back