Barrel Imports reviews?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting you posted that. My local supplier in Ontario carries that brand of Hungarian oak barrel. I wasn't sure of the brand's quality compared to the Vadai ones everyone talks about here. But they look good. Wonder what the direct price is with barrel imports vs my local suppliers. Musca would ship to you surely.

Here's a link to the barrels on Musca: http://musca.com/shop/category/hungarian-oak-barrels/

They also sell European oak and chestnut barrels as well as American oak.

Thanks for the link. I emailed barrel imports for prices: a 23 liter barrel sells for $199 for barrel, stand, and bung. Plus +$25 to ship to Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Wow well that's a good deal compared to my local place! Thanks for the info...

I'm sending an email this morning to check them out.
Thanks for posting! It's sometimes hard to find 'the good stuff' in Canada.

I have a BI barrel and a couple Vadais , they are essentially identical .

I have purchased from Musca several times. They are awesome to deal with. If you're looking for the buon vino mini filter they are about $50 cheaper than anyone else.

It's good to hear that the BI barrels are good quality! It may be the easiest for me to get my hands on when I'm ready. That's also what Musca carries.

Carolyn

I think I'm going to take the plunge. It will be my first barrel. I'll update on how it works.

Ok, I ordered it and got it within a week. It looks great, I'll be doing the barrel prep soon. Quick question: it came with an oak stopper. Does anyone use those, or should I pick up a rubber or silicone one?

Here's some pics, btw. I'm super excited.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1396753976.671154.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1396753996.412473.jpg

Ok, I ordered it and got it within a week. It looks great, I'll be doing the barrel prep soon. Quick question: it came with an oak stopper. Does anyone use those, or should I pick up a rubber or silicone one?

Here's some pics, btw. I'm super excited.
View attachment 14913View attachment 14914

Beauty looking barrel. I think a silicone stopper is the way to go.

Thanks guys! I'm new to this aspect of winemaking, so I need all the advice I can get.

Update: The barrel is beautiful. It is from JK Cooperage in Hungary and as I look around online, the consensus seems to be that these are very well made barrels. Mine comes in at 23 liters almost on the nose. I did the barrel prep that a lot if you have suggested, from the Vadai website, and when I filled it there was not a single leak. I checked in the morning and the outside was completely dry.

I'm going to pick up a Chardonnay kit to break it in. I've heard some suggest doing a primary fermentation first before putting it into the barrel so there isn't quite so much sediment left in the barrel. Any thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Back