Barrel Fermented Chardonnay Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
This April/May I will be getting 24 gallons of Chilean Chardonnay. I want to barrel ferment it in a new 80 L (20g) Vadai Barrel. Does anyone have instructions on how to barrel ferment Chardonnay juice?

Start process in my 63F basement. I assume I would pitch yeast in buckets. After 1 day, I would transfer to barrel leaving some (??) head space. Use bung w/ airlock. Inoculate w/ MLF. Stir lees throughout fermentation. Once MLF is complete (possibly months later), rack into carboys.

Please let me know if the above sounds right.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Lots of head space and no need for an airlock until after it is finished fermenting. Cover the bung with a towel to keep the bugs out. I take it you will never place a Kit wine into this barrel? Once you have introduced MLB into a barrel you should never put any Kit wine into it.

Lots of head space and no need for an airlock until after it is finished fermenting. Cover the bung with a towel to keep the bugs out. I take it you will never place a Kit wine into this barrel? Once you have introduced MLB into a barrel you should never put any Kit wine into it.
Thanks for the reply. How much head space? 2/3 or 3/4 full?
Correct, I won't be putting a kit in there afterwards. I'm using the chardonnay to break the barrel in for red wine from grapes.

The cooler the ferment the more you can fill it up. I would go ~ 80% full and watch it for a day or so. You may be able to transfer more juice (90% full) in once you see how the ferment is going. The warmer the must gets, the more expansion you have so cooler is better as long as the yeast are happy.

Back