Mosti Mondiale barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this in the mm all juice. Sounds interesting. I have never tried a barolo. What is it like?

Barolo is an italian wine that is considered one of the biggest, boldest, baddest wines they make. It is not for the faint of heart. I could recommend trying a commercial Barolo first to make sure it is up to your tastes. It's not as bitter as Amarone, but just as full and big. On commercial Barolos that are good, typically you smell pine, tar, and roses on the nose, and the taste is just as complex.

Barolo is made for steak, or Bisteka in Italian, as well as a perfect wine for Spagetti Bolognese with a really rich tri-meat ragout! MMMMMMMMM.Now I just made myself very hungry.

There are so many Barolo producers out there, but you'll find most in the $40+ bottle range to be good examples. It is rare to find an inexpensive "good one", but they do exist. One of the better ones that can be found is 2000 Massolino Barolo Margheria. It is highly rated by many critics, and I've tasted this one, and it is outstanding! Usually, it is about $60/bottle, which is expensive, but you can find it on sale in the $45 range, which is still expensive, but this wine is worth it.

Barolo is totally yummy, flavor galore...excellent value compared to purchasing by the bottle

Wedo only fruit wines and would love to do a kit...but don't want one thatothers label 'thin'...we like full bodied dry red wines....perhaps Borolo would fill the bill.....?

Northern, any of the MM AJ or Masters reds would satisfy. None of them could be classified as "thin." :)

I actually pulled those numbers from US wine merchants. That same bottle here in BC is close to $90/bottle as we have a terrible wine and spirits tax system in BC. That's why kits are so popular in Canada.

Here is the best example I can find to show off our taxes. I can go to Bellingham, WA and pick up a bottle of Ravenswood Zinfandel for $7 on sale at a wine store. Sometimes it is has high as $9 per bottle. That exact same bottle purchased from the BC Liquor Control Board store in Vancouver is $24.95! $25 for a standard, good, yet unremarkable wine.

Luckily, we have many wine bars that do flights of tastings, so I get to taste many wines that would be out of our price range. That's where I got to try the Barolo, and it *is* worth it to get a good bottle of it for tasting, or to go to a wine bar.

Life is too short for bad wine, and unfortunately, Italian wines, especially Barolo, Brunello, Barbera, and Amarone are usually very expensive for good ones. Cheaper ones taste like poop to me. I know that sounds like I'm a wine snob, but I'm not.Edited by: Dean

The Barolo has become my favorite wine. It is just plain "jummy".
BTW, if we had your tax on Alcohol here in the states, I would have a really BOOMING business.Maybe I should start a lobby group.
smiley4.gif

George, I think you might run into a challenge getting that lobby group to go through!!
smiley1.gif

I know there's a wine shop in Florida that did a news segment and talked about how you could go in and buy a single bottle, but if you want to make 30 bottles of the same thing, and have all the fun and work you would save 15% which is such a small amount. It's so different than what we have here in Canada for sure. We point out to our customers how making your own saves you a lot off of liquor store pricing.

Okay George, Ive heard of jammy and yummy, is jummy a mixture of these?
smiley36.gif

That's exactly what I was wondering as well....sounds about right. And it really is a very good description of Barolo, so a new term has been invented!

Some wines, like Barolo and Amarone aren't even avail around here because it's a rural area, liquor stores are small and folks buy mostly cheaper wines. I plan to make a MM Barolo this year even though I've never tasted a Barolo before. I like big, bold reds though.

If you like big bold reds, (as I do) you would probably like the Meglioli Rojo Intenso. I won a silver in the winemakermag contest with it. It's a blend of Cab and Shiraz and will blow your socks off.

Phyllis said:
George, I think you might run into a challenge getting that lobby group to go through!!
smiley1.gif

I know there's a wine shop in Florida that did a news segment and talked about how you could go in and buy a single bottle, but if you want to make 30 bottles of the same thing, and have all the fun and work you would save 15% which is such a small amount. It's so different than what we have here in Canada for sure. We point out to our customers how making your own saves you a lot off of liquor store pricing.

I have to disagree with this store in Florida. I am sure you save *more* in Canada, but I think that on average I am saving around 50% on a bottle-per-bottle comparison. I don't know where they come up with this 15% figure.

Back