Barolo No like

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said it needed to smooth out. That tells me you find it a bit harsh. That could be tannic, alcohol and/or simple youth. For me glycerin in small doses with or without simple syrup makes young tannic wines more approachable (smooth) earlier. If that Barolo ages three years or so in bottle I'll bet it's delicious to folks who like Barolo. I often add tannin to my big red wines and then soften them with the glycerin and or syrup. The syrup fades in time as the tannins mellow on their own. I believe this gives me the best of both worlds, a drinkable wine at one year in bottle and a excellent wine at two plus years in bottle. MANY here wouldn't get within 50 yards of a bottle of glycerin. But of the several here that have tasted my wine none have suggested that the glycerin gave them an off taste. And if it did I really wish they would have said so. I share my wine with anyone hoping for honest appraisal and suggestions.

Keep in mind that we will never make a Barolo into an Amarone (well Joeswine probably could) and Barolos often take forever to become approachable. EZ, I don't know in what part of the country you live but it would be useful if a local winemaker could barrel taste your Borolo and offer advise. I actually overnight-ed a taste of one of my wines to a certain moderator who lives in New Mexico for emergency advice. Sometimes extraordinary steps are required. With that said only take my advise at your own risk. There are far smarter and more experienced winemakers on this forum than me.

TonyT, I'm curious to know what brand of glycerine you are using? I wouldn't mind switching if there'a a better alternative to what I have, which did produce a slight aftertaste. The one I have is from Global Vintners Inc.

It's I D Carlson. I get it from Fine Vine Wines but lots of folks should have it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Thanks Tonyt. I'll have to keep an eye out for other brands. I don't think LD Carlson is available in Canada and Fine Vine Wines unfortunately doesn't ship here.

Thanks Tonyt. I'll have to keep an eye out for other brands. I don't think LD Carlson is available in Canada and Fine Vine Wines unfortunately doesn't ship here.

I use Spagnols glycerine (I'm in BC) also if you have a Michaels close by they sell glycerine made by Wilton. You could also try ordering online dirrect from Wilton.com
My 2 cents on using it though is- careful on the amount you use. It not only changes the body but it also changes the mouthfeel

Has anyone actually used the Wilton glycerine? I'm curious since its a product meant for baking.

Pam in cinti

Has anyone actually used the Wilton glycerine? I'm curious since its a product meant for baking.

Pam in cinti

I've used the Wilton glycerine.
as long as it's food grade glycerine they're all about the same.It's usually vegetable based.

Thanks Kim. Good to know. Hubby and I occasionally troll Hobby Lobby as we both have weird hobbies that we can get parts for there. I'll check out the Wiltons glycerine.

Pam in cinti

Tried my Barolo again, to see if it needs any adjustment prior to bottling.
Have to say at about 3 month what I like the most is the oak imparted from time in the oak barrel.

Otherwise it has nowhere near come into its own.
There is potential there, just going to take time.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Elmer, is your wine just 3 months in total?

I haven't tried mine again, just sitting in the carboy. I'm at 8 months I think. (have to look at label)

Elmer, is your wine just 3 months in total?

I haven't tried mine again, just sitting in the carboy. I'm at 8 months I think. (have to look at label)

Yes 3 months . Started around beginning of January.
It is clear, spent 3 weeks in oak barrel.
Now just aging in a 5 gallon carboy.

I was going to bottle and free up some carboy space.
Not sure I will add any more tweaks, just want to allow it an opportunity to come into its own.

Yes 3 months . Started around beginning of January.
It is clear, spent 3 weeks in oak barrel.
Now just aging in a 5 gallon carboy.

I was going to bottle and free up some carboy space.
Not sure I will add any more tweaks, just want to allow it an opportunity to come into its own.

Three weeks not really very long for barrel time! Is this the first run on the barrel? You really need at leat 3 months to feel the effct of the barrel at min...

Three weeks not really very long for barrel time! Is this the first run on the barrel? You really need at leat 3 months to feel the effct of the barrel at min...

It was the the barrels first run and I left it in a week longer than intended.
It got very super oaky, which has since died down.

But my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong is that Barolo is supposed be somewhat fruitiah flavor to it instead of a smokey oak (ie: Tuscan or Brunello)?

Barolo should be (on a scale from 1-5)

full bodied 5
fruity 4 or 5
tannin 5
aroma 4 or 5
oak 3 to 5

Typically described as "intense". If you have a watery, lifeless example of a Barolo (Nebbiolo) then it sounds like the kit maker was LAME! Barolo is often considered Italy's greatest wine. "The king of wines, the wine of Kings"

Elmer
I believe you have a decent inventory of bottled wine. That Bartolo is going to be one of your most important (special) wines. Don't rush to bottle. Give it another three months in carboy and see how the oak acts. Once you bottle you can't go back. Perhaps it's time to buy another carboy.

Elmer
I believe you have a decent inventory of bottled wine. That Bartolo is going to be one of your most important (special) wines. Don't rush to bottle. Give it another three months in carboy and see how the oak acts. Once you bottle you can't go back. Perhaps it's time to buy another carboy.

Thanks for the advice.
I am actually looking at selling of 1 or 2 of my 6's and replacing it with a 5 or 3.

I will leave it in the carboy a while longer.
I have a Pinot noir that is due to be bottled shortly and My tuscan will be 6 months old and ready for bottling out of the barrel!

Just tried to Burrello again at four months old
It was very flat and unimpressive any oak that was in parted by being the first batch in my oak barrel has completely diminished and is on recognizable.

I think I will load up with some Hungarian medium toast oak cubes.

I will give the cubes a try for at least a month and then if need be I will put back in the barrel when I'm done with aging my Brunello.

But worst case scenario it is still drinkable and it is still far far better than any of the 10 L kits I ever made

Hold off on the cubes and give it more barrel time first. Just my two cents.

I agree! This wine has not seen enough barrel time.... After 3 to 4 solid months in a barrel then evaluate.

Sam

Latest posts

Back