Barolo No like

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the agreeable area would be that maybe more oxygen and c02 Surface area

Carolyn

I don't agree with that... You would still have that level of slow oxidation in glass. If I were to age for 2-3 years it would maybe be in barrels.

It's not that aging doesn't occur in glass, but when evaporation takes place like it does in a barrel, air is pulled into the barrel. I don't see any noticeable evaporation in a 6 gallon glass carboy. In a barrel you can plan on losing 5% per year. The air space created by the loss is called ullage. Barrel aging doesn't impart a lot of oak character over the years (only at the beginning), it's the breathing and oxidation that makes it different. If you don't top up the barrels, you'll end up with the wine going bad on you.

Yep, what Geronimo said.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

There is no comparison between a wine aged in a barrel and one that has spent its entire life in glass. Let me repeat, no comparison. Kit wines (reds needless to say) especially benefit from the concentration through evaporation and the controlled oxidation. Neither of which happens in a glass carboy even with an airlock. I made kit wines for a few years and then switched over to fresh grapes. The last kit wines that are now approaching 3 years in the bottle and spent ~ 6 months in a Vadai Barrel are the first kit wines I have actually contemplated sending in to a competition. The others were not worthy IMHO. These were all the highest ultra premium kits and most were Limited Release kits.

Don't mean to seem like a nag...but.....LOL

CAn someone tell me if I should be doing something with these wines in the carboys.......put oak chips in them.....stablilze with????

Thanks for your replies thus far. Interesting and educational.

Don't mean to seem like a nag...but.....LOL

CAn someone tell me if I should be doing something with these wines in the carboys.......put oak chips in them.....stablilze with????

Thanks for your replies thus far. Interesting and educational.

ez2cy,
Before we can make a recommendation, what exactly don't you like about it? personally, I'd start by adding Tannin Riche Extra and let it sit at least 3 more weeks, this will add a real nice level of the astringency that we expect, and it will smooth it out. Like Manley and Geronimo suggested, it may need to age more.
Keep us posted!

In one of my many blunders, I added raisins and tannins after fermentation was done. Yes, now I know to add them during secondary. At any rate, the blunder turned out quite well, we really enjoy the wine. Body? you bet. Anyway, you could easily portion off a gallon and add 1-3oz raisins and 2tsp dissolved tannins.

I would suggest adding the tannins that Pumpkinman recommended, and see how that goes. I would also consider cimbaliw's suggestion of raisins, or perhaps glycerine instead.

If you followed the kit directions they will be good and have everything in them you need.
The other suggestions/ideas to make them better will depend on what you prefer.
Experiment.

Made a Barolo. Finished and has been bulk aging for last 6 months in Carboy. (do it will all my wines).

I just don't like the taste of this wine. Never made it, never bought a bottle first. (Sister in law's idea to make this one)

Now, anything I might mix it with to smooth it out?

I'm a big fan of Amarone, Malbec etc. Mostly make higher end kits ie Cellar Craft with the grapes in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

It's six months old, you have never tasted Barolo but now know perhaps you don't prefer Barolo. Your sister-in-law requested/suggested it. You like fruiter/smoother wines. Tannin will not make it more smooth, I would add 4 ounces of glycerin and or 2-4 ounces of simple syrup to taste and bottle. Taste again in six to twelve months, if you still don't like give it all to your sister-in-law.:gb

It's six months old, you have never tasted Barolo but now know perhaps you don't prefer Barolo. Your sister-in-law requested/suggested it. You like fruiter/smoother wines. Tannin will not make it more smooth, I would add 4 ounces of glycerin and or 2-4 ounces of simple syrup to taste and bottle. Taste again in six to twelve months, if you still don't like give it all to your sister-in-law.:gb

Maybe a stupid question but would this just not make it a sweeter wine? Like dry, not sweet. Sorry if I'm an idiot...LOL

You said it needed to smooth out. That tells me you find it a bit harsh. That could be tannic, alcohol and/or simple youth. For me glycerin in small doses with or without simple syrup makes young tannic wines more approachable (smooth) earlier. If that Barolo ages three years or so in bottle I'll bet it's delicious to folks who like Barolo. I often add tannin to my big red wines and then soften them with the glycerin and or syrup. The syrup fades in time as the tannins mellow on their own. I believe this gives me the best of both worlds, a drinkable wine at one year in bottle and a excellent wine at two plus years in bottle. MANY here wouldn't get within 50 yards of a bottle of glycerin. But of the several here that have tasted my wine none have suggested that the glycerin gave them an off taste. And if it did I really wish they would have said so. I share my wine with anyone hoping for honest appraisal and suggestions.

Keep in mind that we will never make a Barolo into an Amarone (well Joeswine probably could) and Barolos often take forever to become approachable. EZ, I don't know in what part of the country you live but it would be useful if a local winemaker could barrel taste your Borolo and offer advise. I actually overnight-ed a taste of one of my wines to a certain moderator who lives in New Mexico for emergency advice. Sometimes extraordinary steps are required. With that said only take my advise at your own risk. There are far smarter and more experienced winemakers on this forum than me.

Yes I can see the point made obviously of better breath ability of barrels... So gas exchange would be be better. But it just seems a bit much for the home winemaker to have a bunch of barrels going.... I'm going to try it but these barrels better not have the same habit as carboys around here!

Carolyn

but these barrels better not have the same habit as carboys around here

You haven't built a warehouse and wine cellar yet? Let us know when you start shopping for a forklift.

Last edited:
EZ, I have written an article about oak. Give this a read and let me know if you have and additional questions...

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/take-on-oak.html

Good article, ty

If you were adding chips to these carboys, how long would you leave them in?

They had oak chips or powder in the kit as I said but that was in the first stage of fementation, which I've always questioned.

Powder is meant for primary fermentation (it reacts in a matter of hours or a couple days). The active yeast change the outcome of oak contact. If I'm given 2 packs of toasted oak chips, I usually opt for one in primary and one in secondary. The larger oak cubes (sometimes called beans) will continue to benefit the wine for 2-3 weeks and belong in secondary. Staves and spirals go for 3-4 weeks. Oak barrels usually go neutral after 6-8 weeks.

Be very careful with a new 23L barrel. I've heard of people having to blend an overly oaked batch with another batch to make the outcome reasonable. Small barrels have a larger surface area per liter, and therefore most people "break in" their barrel with a batch for just 1 week, then another for 2 weeks, and finally a 3rd batch for extended aging.

Yes I can see the point made obviously of better breath ability of barrels... So gas exchange would be be better. But it just seems a bit much for the home winemaker to have a bunch of barrels going.... I'm going to try it but these barrels better not have the same habit as carboys around here!

Carolyn

Funny.... But unfortunatly they do! Once you start down this road there is no returning......

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back