Banana Sherry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dend78

Reaction score
I saw this posted in another thread and it hit a nerve and here we go

4 gallon batch

12-14 pounds ripe banana's
5 tsp Acid Blend
1/8tsp K-meta
12 cups granulated sugar (ran out adding more tonight)
2 2/3 cups brown sugar (ran out adding more tonight)
yeast nutrient

added 18 cups of water to large pan, cut up banana's left some skins put in the water simmered to break up alot of the banana chunks. Added all other ingredients to primary. once the banana muck was broken down fairly well I poured the mixture into the primary as well and stirred.

At this point I will add more sugar as I am looking to get somewhere around 14%, and water to top it up to 4gal mark, I will then be adding in EC-1118 to the mix re hydrating before adding to primary. Final starting gravity will be posted above once i have it set.

While this was in the works I got my 5 bottles of Brandy, a large SS stock pot and about 5lbs of banana's (peeled) tossed in the banana's and added the brandy. I will let this sit until I reach the 14% abv then add it all into the primary, smashing the banana's to extract all of the juice. at this point I will add my airlock and snap down my lid letting it sit for a few days to let the dust settle then racking.

What is the volume of each bottle and alc content on the brandy you are using?
With the addition of the brandy, what will the final alc content be-assuming you add it when the ferment is at 14%?
Wouldn't this be more of a port-style wine instead of a sherry?
I think I have the same recipe in my "to try" file---I used equal amounts brandy and puregrain, added bananas and popped the sealed jar in the refrigerator. So my fortifying banana flavored liqueur is doing a cold extraction. Have not even started the wine yet--waiting on this last bunch of bananas to ripen up.

well after further inspection of a "port" and a "sherry" i believe im going to have to call this a "shport". I will be going for the dark caramel color brought on by allowing the wine to oxidise like a sherry, but i will stop fermentation around 14% (like a port) then adding in 5 750ml bottles of brandy taking me up to around 19-20% or just slightly over that.

as of right now this stuff has a foam head on it so thick you could serve it like pie :) smells very good only issue i am having right now is getting a good reading with my hydrometer.

lesson learned here - use a nylon mesh bag

i put the hydrometer in it settles in, take a reading wait 30 seconds and then look again the hydrometer raises up and its at .010 higher than it was to begin with. this makes me question my initial gravity reading which i was shooting for around 1.140-1.145 ish and i ended up a little high around 1.150. I plan to add the brandy around 1.040.

I assume with the addition of the brandy the extra sugars will dilute down some but again I am just assuming here. The brandy I am using is 40% or 80 proof.

If you're concerned about dilution, consider using 150 proof Everclear. You could use about 2/3 less so less dilution.

im actually hoping the brandy will help tame some of the sweetness down, because where its at and where it will end up at if i stop it at 14% will still be pretty high sugar, like it will be around 1.040ish which is pretty high then factor in the 10-15g per L of sugar in the brandy. which makes me think i may need to push the limits on the EC-1118 and take it closer to 15% before adding brandy.

which should take this up to around 21% if my calcs are correct because i have 5 bottles of brandy with banana's soaking in it as we speak, which i have to say smells really darn good!!

:u 10/2/2012

did a check and stir, 1.125 and it looks like its boiling, this is my first heavy froth ferment all others have been lame at best in comparison

Last edited:
I just pitched my yeast around 12 today and it was bubbling by 3p and is currently boiling to the extent it is lifting the straining bag up. Smell is amazing. I started soaking my banana slices in equal amounts of E&J VSOP and Everclear last week on the countertop, placed the container in the refrigerator after bananas started to show first signs of darkening then removed the bananas after 3d in refrig, strained the sediment and loaded back up with bananas again and put this immediately in the refrig, topped up with equal amounts brandy and Everclear again.
I used 2# brown sugar and 1/2# honey initially/gallon, put banana soup thru a DOUBLE LAYER (inner is fine, outer is medium) straining bag and my O.G. is 1.092. I will step feed it (1/2 cup brown sugar/gallon when O.G. has dropped by 1/3, document S.G. and repeat this 2 more times, each time when new S.G. has dropped by 1/3, oh and one of these feeds may be with honey); this should give me a "new" O.G. of 1.122. D-47 has an alcohol potential of 14%, so I could potentially reach alcohol toxicity with this O.G. since there is always the +/- (more the plus). We will see.

I'm excited to see my recipe re-imagined! Keep us updated, for sure. Also, that's a LOT of brandy you're adding! I upped my ABV by coaxing my yeast to 18% ABV and then using the brandy to bump it up. What factored into deciding on that quantity?

Dend78,

How do you get and control the amount of oxidation necessary?

I had something interesting happen. About a year ago a friend gave me a bottle of port from a kit she had made. We drank about 1/4 of the bottle. It was OK. The wife put a temporary cork in it and it somehow got stuck in the back of a high cabinet.

About a year later we found it and would have thrown it away but we decided to try it. It was very oxidized but it tasted really different and good! It had gone bad but somehow back, through some sort of cycle, to being exceptionally good again. I have never tried a sherry, but I assume that is what it had become. (If that's what sherry tastes like, I do believe I should like it.)

There is a wine called a madiera. It is still made, at least for cooking, but it was a very popular drink years ago. It also has gone through the oxidative process until it is completely changed. They set the barrels of it out in the sun, with the bung open and leave it this way for years. That's about all I know about it.

well, im no expert to this at all since its my first try, but my plans are to rack to a carboy and let it sit under airlock. i have a 6gal carboy im at 4gal now once i rack it off the lee's i will be a little short of 4gal lets say 3.9gal then add the addition of the brandy which will be about 1gal so just under 5gal in the carboy and i wont top it up. I will let it clear like this for a few months then rack again, and leave it. I plan to continue this process until I see a color I like and the flavoring I enjoy. Of course I will have to keep a constant test :)dg) on this every few weeks to make sure its progressing along as planned, its good to be the guinea pig :r

Oh Madeira is definitely for drinking, it ranges from dry to dessert to cheaper ones that have salts/peppers adding that are used for cooking. Taking a cruise in the Spring and Madeira Island is one of our ports of call!!

Oh Madeira is definitely for drinking, it ranges from dry to dessert to cheaper ones that have salts/peppers adding that are used for cooking. Taking a cruise in the Spring and Madeira Island is one of our ports of call!!

I read a lot about the madeira made in the past. The only ones my local liquor store carries are for cooking, though. It would be fun to someday taste a really good one. That stuff can last for decades!

I suppose that much air space will allow some oxidation. I wonder if you should open it up to the air at anytime and if so, for how long.

I have never done anything like this before, but am very interested. Keep us informed about how it goes and how long it takes to get it where you want it.

i didn't give the aging as much thought up front but I believe once i have racked i may remove out about 1/2 gal more to one of my 1gal glass carboys then store my carboys at an angle to produce more head space allowing for a greater farea. im obviously not going to make it to 3+ years on the aging because well i will say my will power in this has gotten better but not that good hahahah

plus i dont have enough carboys to keep something like that going unless i used each of my 1gal carboys....hmmm i may need to design a rack system for holding these guys to produce the largest surface area for flor without leaking out. this would produce flor wouldnt it?

Last edited:
here is something else as i research "flor" in order for flor to form properly the wine needs to be between 14-16%, so if that is true how does one make Oloroso which is typically between 18-20%?

:u 10/3/12

Punched down the cap took some pics will post those later on, 1.100 is where im sitting, i need to compare my notes but i believe this is moving faster than my apple pie wine. i posted in another thread that I was still looking at thick brown soup but last night it was much thinner, and the color is much lighter tried to get some color pics as well.

:u 10/5/12

Punched down the cap again 1.085

:u 10/7/12

Punched down the cap like normal looking at 1.080

Last edited:
pics as promised

SAM_1088_zps31f2715a.jpg

SAM_1089_zps728486b9.jpg

SAM_1090_zps2c41ee04.jpg

SAM_1091_zpscf2eefa8.jpg

Gravity this morning 1.070

:u 10/14/2012

:u 10/17/2012

1.060 again today, im going to keep this in primary for a bit longer until my flor yeast makes it in at which point i will transfer to secondary and pitch in the flor, there is still plenty of sugar left which makes me wonder why this isn't fermenting any further than it is, im still seeing CO2 and hearing it working when i remove the lid (loose lid with airlock hole in it)

Last edited:
Started mine on 10/1 and transferred to carboy/airlock when SG had dropped by 2/3, was icky opaque yellow brown.....on 10/15 that carboy was clear and bright yellow in color. Still has some clearing to do, almost there....but am I amazed at the color transition. I was sure since I used "banana soup" and the pulp in straining bag (and you know how bananas turn) that there was no way this would be yellow. Plus, it smells SO good. Will take a S.G. next time I think about it just to see where it is (after all sugar additions I had an O.G. of 1.122)

Last edited:
This thread has me drooling...

If i didnt have 3 different ferments going already, i'd be off to buy some bananas..

I'll be paying attention with baited breath

I'll probably get around to this, in a few months

nice!

i dont fully understand mine, i see it making bubbles, but yet my gravity hasnt changed in several days i checked it again last night still sitting at 1.060 you can see bubbles and hear it working. the smell is awesome!!!! the taste is different than i expected but the young alcohol is way way strong, i get the acid taste in there and some sweetness but the alcohol over powers everything. i have also noticed its starting to clear up a ton in my primary. hopefully tuesday is the day my flor yeast makes it in cause i really feel the need to transfer this and i want to do it all at one time rather than rack and wait.

one thing i did do the other night was take most of the pulp and put it in a cheese cloth just to cut down on the floaters, its easier to check now but i do miss that 3" head of banana's on top

the banana infused brandy is quite tasty actually,its still harsh brandy flavor but then in the end you get that banana hint, im ready to see what this monster becomes!!

Last edited:
well im a little disappointed, my flor yeast hasn't made it in yet, so last night i no longer felt safe leaving it in primary so i transferred it to secondary, but in order to do that i transferred my pear wine to smaller 1gal jugs/carboys. somewhere along the line i think i lost about 1gal of the banana because im lookin at about 3gal of it instead of the 4 i was starting with. the racking was interesting for sure after that i will always use a fruit bag from here on out. still sitting strong at 1.060 though so i will toss in the flor yeast when it gets here and go from there.

Back