Mosti Mondiale Bad smelling Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarer

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled my all-juice Riesling about 2 weeks ago and couldn't resist trying a bottle last night. It tasted pretty good, but it smells kind of like crap for lack of a better word. In fact the smell is so bad that you don't even want to taste it. Again the taste is not half bad for it's age. I know it is very young and waaay too early to be drinking but has anyone else ever had this "bad smell" in a young wine? I also had some issues with it fermenting and had to repitch the yeast (on Georges Reccomendation) due to an apparent stuck fermentation. All else went well however. Edited by: bbarer

What does this smell mimic?

Prunes? Sulfur?

What is the temputure where these bottles are being stores?
Are they being stored in a dark area?

smiley24.gif

Edited by: Dominick

The smell is more like prunes I would say almost a dirty smell, not sulfer at all. The bottles have been stored in the dark at a temperature that averages close to 70 degrees. It did have the same smell when I bottled it after about 2 months of bulk aging under the above conditions. The wine ia also very clear with just a slight hint of yellow color, never seen a wine with that little color in it. I did add 1 camden tablet (crushed of course) per gallon at time of bottling.

We have had one other report of an off smell with this kit. We are trying to determine the cause, if it is a problem and, if so, what to do to fix it. Give me several weeks and I should have some answers. If it is a bad kit, you know we will replace it. Please keep the date code.

Had this problem with an AJ reisling that I made last spring. Slight odor and slight off-taste (I had back sweetened slightly). One year later - AMAZING!!!

Hope that yours tastes as good next year!

Jim

I have also had off smells in some kits, but not Mosti. It fades away in a few months.

Hope you guys are right as I have a lot invested in this one. I'll open another bottle in a few weeks if I don't hear from George there was a real problem with the lot. Stay tuned in the mean time I will drink my Cellar Craft Pinot Noir which by the way is excellant after only 2 months in the bottle!!! I hope I can save at least a few bottles till it ages to really become nice!!

George, just wondering if there was any update on the investigation into this off smell. I opened another bottle last night and it smells just as bad as the first.....Again I also noticed the almost complete lack of color to this wine, it is crystal clear and one could almost confuse it as water...

Great thanks for the info, don't mean to be a pain just a little dissapointed in the wine after all the work and time.

Yes, opened a bottle late last week and no change whatsoever, I also commented in my previous post how clear and colorless the wine is. I have sampled many a Reisling in my time and yet to see one this colorless...Not that I think that is in any way related to the off smell, it is just another observation..

George, anything new on your tests? I don't mean to be a pain just want to put this one to bed. Also trying to decide whether or not to make another riesling to replace this.

Thanks a lot for all the help so far..

The copper sulfate does not seem to have changed anything. Give me a call and I will give you Mosti's address to send a sample for analysis.

Latest posts

Back