Bacterial infection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaccusIsWine

Reaction score
Hi their everyone. Well I think I might have a Problem. I am Currently bulk aging a cherry Mead. It has been in the carboy for about 10 days and I noticed about 5 days ago their was this all over the top of it and along the isdes of the carboy. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/pict0018pl.jpg/ Some Info:

1. SG is stable and has been for quite some time so fermentation isnt going as far as I can tell

2. between 13-14% ABV

3. No funny smells or tastes(taste pretty good)

4. I used Aunt Sues raw honey(Sue Bee) and did not boil it

5. Yeast used: Vinterners harvest VR21

6. 3 days ago I added 1/4 tsp of K Meta just in case

So what is this suff in my mead guys/gals? Im thiking if it was nastieness it would smell or taste bad but it doesnt. Im thinking this is just what they call "Flor"?
Ive never seen this befor so some advice is required.

Thanks

can you post up your recipe and procedures? How long did you have it in a primary, what chemicals did you put in? what was the sg?, what was the reading when you racked it to the carboy?

more information would be helpful, I am wondering if it is not still fermenting

can you post up your recipe and procedures? How long did you have it in a primary, what chemicals did you put in? what was the sg?, what was the reading when you racked it to the carboy?

more information would be helpful, I am wondering if it is not still fermenting

1. Its 3 gallons I used 9 lb of honey and 1 and a half bottles of Cherry juice concetrate (32 oz bottle) and spring water to bring to 3 gallons. Mixed all together and added 3 tsp of nutrient and 1 tsp energizer thats it for chems

2. The starting SG was 1130 and was in primary for 13 days down to 1030. Just took a SG reading this morning and its still 1030. Has been in the carboy for 10 days and 3 days ago I added 1/4 tsp of kmeta

3 Also I only get a bubble in the airlock maybe 1 per minute

1. Its 3 gallons I used 9 lb of honey and 1 and a half bottles of Cherry juice concetrate (32 oz bottle) and spring water to bring to 3 gallons. Mixed all together and added 3 tsp of nutrient and 1 tsp energizer thats it for chems

2. The starting SG was 1130 and was in primary for 13 days down to 1030. Just took a SG reading this morning and its still 1030. Has been in the carboy for 10 days and 3 days ago I added 1/4 tsp of kmeta

3 Also I only get a bubble in the airlock maybe 1 per minute

Since you did not add k-meta initially I am assuming that you are letting wild yeast ferment your mead? I believe it may be still fermenting. Try degassing it and then take another reading, actually take a three readings on three different days.

At 13-14% ABV I'd be surprised that any self-respecting bacteria would want to go near it. Because of the airlock action, Julie's probably right about there being some fermentation still happening. Personally, if I wanted to be reasonably sure the fermentation stops, I'd use both K-meta and potassium sorbate. K-meta by itself doesn't do the job.

Since you did not add k-meta initially I am assuming that you are letting wild yeast ferment your mead? I believe it may be still fermenting. Try degassing it and then take another reading, actually take a three readings on three different days.

No I used Vintners Harvest VR21 yeast. I guess their could be wilds in it since I didnt boil the honey, but the SG is stable taken on many different days.

I agree with above that it is probably still fermenting. The k-meta you added stunned the yeast which would explain your SG not changing. Also, the yeast are probably struggling to recover due to high alcohol limitations.

Im betting since it was honey in the raw its just a little scum from the honey. If you degas this it will probably settle out or you can just rack through and leave it there if it doesnt settle out.

I agree with above that it is probably still fermenting. The k-meta you added stunned the yeast which would explain your SG not changing. Also, the yeast are probably struggling to recover due to high alcohol limitations.

The SG was stable over a week befor I added the K meta. Multiple Sg readings befor and after the k meta are the same 1030.

Im betting since it was honey in the raw its just a little scum from the honey. If you degas this it will probably settle out or you can just rack through and leave it there if it doesnt settle out.

I was thinking not boiling it might have something to do with it. Anyways I think its a combo of that and yeast as it is settled out on the curves of the carboy Like yeast will do when you use super Kleer. All in all I think it will be fine. Worried for nothing lol. Thanks for the quick replys all

Back