Backyard vineyard growth problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabern01

Junior
Reaction score
I am a novice grape grower with around 100 vines located in Upstate NY. Four different varieties - this being my 4th summer in the ground (cab franc, noiret, cayuga white & vidal blanc).

The first 2 summers I experienced good to great growth. The winter (Jan) before my 3rd summer I pruned the trained vines back to 5-7 buds. That summer the vines seemed to go dormant with all growth coming from the base of the vines.

I tied off all new growth (basically doubling what was previously tied off) and waited for this summer to see which vines would show growth.

Unfortunately, I am seeing some vines with no growth and the only growth I have is from the base again.

Anybody have some advice? Soil? Insects? Fertilization?

Sorry for the long post (my first).
Tom

Where are you located exactly? The vines may have experience bud damage from cold., especially the Cab Franc. The others are also easily damaged if it got more than -10 to -15. You really should not have needed to prune back so severly before the third growing season. That is only done the second year to make for a larger trunk.

Welcome Tom, ^ that guys has all the answers but I have a few first year table grapes that all nine did the exact same after being froze like 4-6 times, they tried real hard to come back a few times then just gave up and started fresh from the root or under ground somewhere.

Hay them ain't grafted plants right.

The cab franc vines are grafted. I learned the seasonal limitations of grafted vines after planting. I mounded dirt over the grafted joint before winter - somewhat helpful.

Located in Tully, NY - on Green Lake (It's about 15 mins south of Syracuse. NY). I was following the direction from "Backyard Vinter" by Jim Law.

Should I prune away the past year's growth - what I believe to be damaged due to cold weather and focus on new growth? The growth from last year had the buds starting to show signs of popping during a very warm March, but it was followed by very cold April and May. I assume all of the Finger Lakes experienced similar issues. Advice going forward?

When I planted these vines - I gave a couple extras to a friend. He has done nothing but plant them in the ground and they are doing better than mine. He is higher in elevation (avg 4 degrees colder).

I put mulch down between vines to keep weeds down - so I thought maybe this was affecting my soil, but the box store soil test showed my soil to be neutral to slightly alkaline.

My intent was to grow more winter hardy vines. Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi Tabern,

Welcome to the board! I live just north of you in Camden. I don't have the varieties you planted, but also have a bunch of "runt" Marquette vines that were doing good in April before some hard frosts. Growth is near the base with various shoots, etc.

But, I also noted a fair number of leaves on my Marquette (2nd year) have been eaten. When I turned the leaves over, there were a couple of tiny (about 1/8") clack insects that looked like micro centipedes.

Did you notice any signs of this on yours?

:b
Bob

Latest posts

Back