Back sweetened - no change in SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rappatuz

Reaction score
I have 23 liters (6 gallons) of a port style rose hip wine which is about 19 % ABV. Some months ago I measured the SG to 1.012. It was the same about a week ago. I sampled it, decided to back sweeten and added 230 g of sugar (10 g/l). I measured the SG today and it hasn't moved (I've seen no activity in the air lock either). Does it take that long for sugar to dissolve, or cold it be that the sugar, because of it's greater mass, stays at the bottom of the carboy?

As far as I know the sugar addition should've raised SG to about 1.016.

I have 23 liters (6 gallons) of a port style rose hip wine which is about 19 % ABV. Some months ago I measured the SG to 1.012. It was the same about a week ago. I sampled it, decided to back sweeten and added 230 g of sugar (10 g/l). I measured the SG today and it hasn't moved (I've seen no activity in the air lock either). Does it take that long for sugar to dissolve, or cold it be that the sugar, because of it's greater mass, stays at the bottom of the carboy?

Your suspicions are probably right, both of them. The sugar will indeed sink to the bottom and take some time to dissolve without some intervention. Once you get it dissolved and stirred up well, you should be able to get an accurate reading. Also recognize that the difference between 1.012 and 1.016 is pretty small on the scale of a hydrometer, only two lines apart, so it's not going to be that evident.

The sugar has probably sank to the bottom and is just sitting there. I don't know how long it will take to dissolve on its own. Can you give the carboy some gentle swirls or sloshing? I backsweeten when I rack off the lees and treat. I do it with the All In One pump but even then, it takes usually 2 rackings to get all of the sugar dissolved.

Thanks guys! I though sugar would dissolve pretty easily. Looks like I was wrong.

Val, I may give swirling a go. The problem with 6 gallon carboys is the distance from the opening to the bottom. I'll need something long.

cmason, great tip! First wine I've back sweetened, such a noob 😊

Thanks guys! I though sugar would dissolve pretty easily. Looks like I was wrong.

Val, I may give swirling a go. The problem with 6 gallon carboys is the distance from the opening to the bottom. I'll need something long.

I actually just swirl the wine by rocking the carboy back and forth 😊

Try using one of these: 28 Inch Plastic Spoon

Hold the "spoon" end in your hand, the handle end will fit into the carboy hole, stir away!!

No help to you now, but have you considered backsweetening with simple syrup next time? Then you won't have to worry about the "dissolving" issue. Just a thought, good luck...............................Dizzy

I actually just swirl the wine by rocking the carboy back and forth 😊

I might try that out. I have one of those typical 6 gallon PET carboys for wine. I'm a bit worried that too much handling (when it's full) may cause it to break some day. It's probably a lot sturdier than I give it credit for, though.

Try using one of these: 28 Inch Plastic Spoon

Hold the "spoon" end in your hand, the handle end will fit into the carboy hole, stir away!!

Sweet! :)

No help to you now, but have you considered backsweetening with simple syrup next time? Then you won't have to worry about the "dissolving" issue. Just a thought, good luck...............................Dizzy

I just don't want to dilute the wine more than necessary. Next time I'll probably follow cmason's advise and take out some wine before I dissolve sugar in it and pour it back into the carboy.

I just don't want to dilute the wine more than necessary. Next time I'll probably follow cmason's advise and take out some wine before I dissolve sugar in it and pour it back into the carboy.
[/QUOTE]

Using simple syrup as suggested by Dizzy would not dilute the wine to any appreciable degree. The mixture is 2:1 sugar to water. Wine is normally 85-90% water in any case. The minimal amount added in back sweetening with simple syrup would be imperceptible.

Just wanted to put a conclusion to this thread.

Because of this whole ordeal, and the fact that I had oak chips in the carboy, I decided to do a final racking today. Before racking I took Val's advice and tried rocking the carboy back and forth, but to no avail. SG was unaffected.

After racking, the empty carboy had a thin layer of sugar on the bottom. It was less than the amount I put in, but still proves that sugar takes a lot of time to dissolve if not stirred thoroughly. Lesson learned!

Your assumption that the sugar would dissolve is fine BUT - the dissolved sugar creates a heavy liquid that will remain on the bottom and not disperse into the rest of the wine until you stir.

Latest posts

Back