B Brite questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
Why does it say you have to use cold water to rinse? Would it hurt to use hot water? I think hot water would be better.

Also after soaking a couple dozen bottles in the sink to remove the labels and sanitize them. Could I reuse the B Brite soloution for another set of bottles?

jhawk, sorry you didn't get a response. I have used B-Brite for several years but more recently have sometimes used unscented Oxi-Clean. B-Brite is an excellent cleaner with some limited sanitizing properties. I use it with Iodine as a sanitizer. Oxi-Clean excels at removing stains and has many advocates.

I wash items with B-Brite in very warm water but rinse with cold water as instructions specify. I notice my plastic items get really squeaky clean with a cold water rinse. I think it may remove more residue and that's the whole idea of rinsing. If the manufacturers did not think it made a difference, they would not likely specify one way or the other.

For winemaking purposes remember that some of that residual soap can inactivate your sanitizer so the more you can remove the more effective your sanitizer is likely to be. I suspect that's the reason the instructions recommend cold water rinsing.

I use B-Brite to wash 30 bottles, six per batch. If the water seems to lose the soapiness it had when I began, I add a bit more B-Brite. I don't hold over the wash water from one time to the next although you can do that with sanitizer if it maintains its strength.

NS

I've been using B-Brite since I started this hobby in January of 2013. I've had no issues using a hot water rinse but my wash before use is followed with a k-meta sanitizing. After use B-Brite wash and rinse. Before use B-Brite wash and rinse followed by sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back