Awesome white wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started two gallon's of this last week, and just racked it into 1 gal carboy's... looking forward to seeing this progress.

Ah yes, I forgot all about this wine. May have to get some going. Was not to my liking but my wife and friends really liked it.

Ah yes, I forgot all about this wine. May have to get some going. Was not to my liking but my wife and friends really liked it.

Not really my style of wine either, but it seems like an easy recipe that the wife would like, and I had open fermenting space. :h

Not really my style of wine either, but it seems like an easy recipe that the wife would like, and I had open fermenting space. :h

Yep, if she likes a sweeter moscato type, this would fit the bill once you sweeten it for her. And you are correct, it is pretty simple and straightforward.

Does this recipe work well with other juices or juice blends, such as pineapple-guava or cranberry and apple? The peach-grape sounds very nice too.

QA23 is supposed to be a more heat tolerant yeast with similar characteristics of D47, it might also work if you cant keep the D47 cool. Welches peach niagra also works well, instead of adding sugar you could also add the concentrate. WVMJ

Yep, I've gone to QA23 for a lot of whites, it's just about bullet-proof.

Is there any wine I could blend with that would work well to help remove some of the foxy, or with the foxyness of the Niagara still be just as strong?

Is there any wine I could blend with that would work well to help remove some of the foxy, or with the foxyness of the Niagara still be just as strong?
When Welches makes white grape juice concentrate they run it in a vacuum evaporator. (see recipe in post #1) This strips the volatiles ie foxy notes. Niagara is the normal feedstock for Welches, but they can use other varieties to tweak demand.

I also made White wine where the juice was sourced from Niagara. Most likely all come from the same source. Some say foxy, I smelled petrol. You could try adding a concentrated flavoring to mask it. I'm going to mix some Niagara wine and banana wine and see what I get. In the past, I've made Concord grape juice (red) and it didn't have the "foxy" aroma that comes along with the Niagara white juice. Pour a glass of your Niagra wine and let it sit 15 minutes with an occasional stir, some of the foxy aromas dissipate. Now aged Riesling has a petrol smell, like gasoline. https://drinkriesling.com/riesling-rules-book/“petrol”-and-riesling Some people like Niagara https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_(grape) some compare to aged Riesling. Another link to American grapes https://winefolly.com/review/native-wine-grapes-of-america/ It's a different taste profile, that you might end up liking as a change of pace wine.

Back