auto siphon technique

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansan07

Reaction score
When im racking i usually leave about 2" of wine in the bottom because im trying to avoid sucking up any sludge. Does anyone else do this? I know im leaving wine behind but I really want it perfectly clear

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You can pour that into a gallon jug and let it clear for a few days, then top off your carboy with it and not waste anything.
It does'nt hurt to get a little bit of sediment transfered over, you will leave it behind in the next racking.

when i get to about two inches i tilt the carboy to allow me to get more wine..i usually have less then a cup are cup 1/2.

I agree that dealing with the sediment is better than wasting wine. We've had to do it both ways described above depending on the cirumstances, and we get 30 bottles out of a 6 gallon batch every time now.

Most of the gross lees is pretty thick and compacted usually, so tilting the carboy to get the last of the juice usually works pretty well.

Recently I have been saving all my lees, pouring in a bottle in the fridge. And then pouring off some of the wine, and using the lees in sauces.

On the first raking, anything that fits through the racking cane gets sucked up. After that, I get more picky, but never more than a cup or so is left behind. It will all settle out anyhow.

I don't leave much wine behind even if I suck up a bit lees/sediment. By my last rack there is nothing but wine left in the carboy or bottling bucket.

I use a vacuum pump and tilt the carboy, it's easy and I don't lose much wine.

Why don't carboys, the newer ones at least, have a punt in them?

Rhino farts and rocket fuel!

Lol, both my Midwest plastics are full, so I can't check them. I don't remember too much of an indentation, but I was thinking more along the lines of the punt on a champagne bottle.

Edit: I checked em. They do have a decent punt, like that of an apple juice plastic round gallon jug. I've not yet racked out of these jugs yet.

Rhino farts and rocket fuel!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back