Cellar Craft Austrian Grüner Veltliner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I just got this kit from George, and I'm really looking forward to starting it.It comes with a small bottle of conditioner, same as the CC Viognier. Has anyone else made this wine before?

I haven't, but I'm very interested in your comments. I really like a nice GruVee. It's one of my fav whites!

I made this wine and bottled it in late Jan. 2009. I had a small glass left over from bottling that tasted awesome! I'm sure it will taste even better with some bottle aging. Can't wait!
smiley1.gif

Thanks Dean and Car-boy. Looks like this will be a good one. Haven't heard much about this varietal, but we've tried both a dry and off-dry version of this wine and really enjoyed both of them. According to Wikipedia, it's primarily grown in Austria.

Started the kit this morning. It came with a flavor reserve labled Reisling. It also came with an extra pouch of kieselsol with instructions to use only if the wine doesn't clear completely with the initial kieselsol/chitosan addition.

20090412_082653_IMG_0318_Small.JPG

20090412_082754_IMG_0319_Small.JPG

Day-6 Transferred the Gu-Vee to secondary. SG down to just over 1.

20090418_185819_IMG_0358_Small.JPG

It had formed a cap of yellow stuff on top. Stirred it up yesterday after taking my readings. There were still clumps on top today and some have made it through the transfer apparently. Haven't seen this before with a white wine. Hope it's nothing to worry about. They look like the cereal "Pops".

Racked and stabilized the Gru-Vee yesterday. It had already started to clear.

20090502_124103_IMG_0360_Small.JPG

Wow, even at this stage (before degassing) it was starting to taste good. Much like a reisling. I think this is going to be a really nice, crisp wine. We'll see what the flavor reserve does to it. Unfortunately, I didn't have another 5-gal carboy, so I had no choice but t top up with almost two full bottles of chardonay. Here it is with flavor reserve and clarifiers added. I had to put it and the Amarone in my kitchen pantry because I ran out of room in the front bedroom where all the other wines are bulk aging...lol
smiley36.gif

20090502_124549_IMG_0362_Small.JPG

Bottled this wine on Labor Day and all I can say is...WOW
smiley4.gif
Best white I've made so far. Simply excellent.

Latest posts

Back