Mosti Mondiale Australian Sauv Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
I made the Renaissance Australian Sauv Blanc and tried it lst night (it's 11 months since bottled) and I was very disappointed. My best description would be "blah". Not much flavor. I know some wines go through a dumb period and get better after that but since Sauv Blanc is normally a wine that's best when young I decided to try it. I've been tasting wines lately to see what will get submitted for this years winemaker mag competition. I know Australia is not known for its Sauv Blanc but I already had two New Zealand Sauv Blancs bottled so I decided to try it and see. I hope it gets better. I'll wait a few months and try again.

Oooh. I have that one on the shelf laying down as well. I made it specifically as it was recommended for having the most floral citrus notes like a New Zealand style.

I have only opened 1 of my splits several months ago and it needed more time. Its coming up on its 1 year Anniversary in a couple of weeks so I guess I should open another bottle here pretty quick.

Perhaps it will be better in another 2-3 months time. Lets hope it just needs a little more time in the bottle.

Just curious,

Did you use the sorbate? I only ask because i made this as well and did not use the sorbate and at six months it was as good as a commercial bottle. It did need some more time but i also did the pinot grigio at the same time and i used the sorbate and tried it and it's not as good ATM but i bet after a year the sorbate will diminish and let it shine but that's just my two cents worth. Very suprising to me because every one that has tried it so far loves it?

That's disappointing, I am sure! Are the two New Zealand bottle also from a kit?

Did you try decanting the questionable wine? Decant it for a couple of hours and see if it helps at all. Maybe the sulfites are covering up the taste.

I did not use sorbate. Did not decant either. I'll give it a few more months and try again. The New Zealand's are kits toobut I have not tried them yet. I knew they were too young and my main purpose here was checking for competition candidates. I usually wait a full year on whites (and 2yrs on some). It's nice to know others have had a good experience with this kit. I love Sauv Blanc but I'm pretty picky about it. I tased one at our only local winery and didn't like it at all (don't know where the grapes were sourced but most likely Calif). New Zealand style is usually my favorite. The one exception to that is a commercial one--I visited Benziger Winery in Sonoma and loved their Sauv Blanc.

Latest posts

Back