August Already at JW Farms

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
Seems the summer is flying by, August...up here fall isn't far away. Took a little walk around the house capturing a few summer moments to look at come December-January
20070803_115950_jwfarm6_Small.jpg

Portulaca I see on both sides of the stoop , usually blooming around the time I get home...
20070803_120216_jwfarm_Small.jpg

The tomato's have just started to get red, picked a few so far, unlike you folks down south, wait all summer for them to ripen, then its feast until frost...
20070803_120429_jwfarm1_Small.jpg

Okra's been booming for a week or two, lot of folks here ask what it is,then say yuck...untill they taste the gumbo my wife puts them in, then ask "what were those again?"
smiley36.gif

20070803_120732_jwfarm2_Small.jpg

Strawberry's been putting out a lot too, maybe one last push. There lucky if they make it to the house,Wife can eat them as fast as there picked.
20070803_120933_jwfarm3_Small.jpg

Always called these "crook neck" get funny looks here, have to say squash.
20070803_121103_jwfarm4_Small.jpg

Somewhere in there are zucchini, mm mm zucchini bread, getting a ton off these, making some bread tonight, at first frost take whats there bake up a ton of loaves and freeze em for winter.
20070803_121325_jwfarm5_Small.jpg

Old Glory waves out front every day, no holiday required, good reminder of how lucky we are. Off today to pick a few more choke Cherry's, found a mega load of wild grapes close by to, thinking jelly for those. Wont be long, and have tocontact George , the volunteer wine ingredients soon to sleep for the winter, been a nice summer up here in Southern Princess land.

Jwminnesota,
Very nice pictures. You just can't beat a good shrimp okragumbo!
smiley20.gif

Thanks for sharing JW...It's nice to have a virtual stroll around some new 'digs'........Love the flowers on the Okra, like Hibiscis.........Glad your getting Chokecherries.....We quit picking today...was sick of it and went out for one last picking....the neighborhood is kind of stripped...was a good bounty...Washed the buckets and will be watching the grapes and apples....meanwhile....pickles, relish, etc...etc. Just a few ripe tomatoes up here too...lots of cherry toms to hold us through.....The Everbearing Strawberries are blooming...and those darn slugs are slimming up any ripe ones....
smiley11.gif

lastpickinSmall.jpg

Being asChokecherry is one of our favorite wines...we really pigged out....never know...might not be any next year. I have been juicing and canning them...freezer is full and been adding more Sandcherries every few days....Life IS Good!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

We have been eating tomatoes for a couple weeks now. I will have to can about a bushel of tomatoes over the weekend. Not a lot , but you have to start somewhere. There will be another bushel or so to pick Sunday. They aren't loaded good this year, but I'm hoping with 200 plants I will get plenty. If not, I'll have to go to my brothers place on the other side of the farm and pick some when mine run out. I've got lots of peppers though! 50 bell plants and about 75 mixed hot peppers. Plenty of cabbage, broccoli and soon cauliflower. The potatoes continue to grow despite the potato bugs. I haven't had a good feed of sweet corn yet, but will pick a few dozen this weekend. The apples are sizing well this year and the grapes are finally just starting to turn.

As NW says Life IS Good!!!

This whole year is flying by JW...Thanks for the pictures. Enjoyed them

Latest posts

Back