Atlanta area wine makers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Just got an email from Wine Grapes Direct. It appears he is trying to get enough interest in the area to send frozen buckets of must to a cold storage facility in the area. This is great news as frozen must is really the only option for us to make wine from California grapes, and shipping is usually the limiting factor....

If anyone is interested give him a call or email. I have made wine twice before from his grapes and was very pleased with the results.

http://winegrapesdirect.com

Last edited:
The grapes buckets are finally in Atlanta (actually Gainesville)! We've got frozen 5 gallon buckets of Sonoma Merlot ($120) and Suiun Valley Cab ($110) available for local pickup 7 days a week (with an appointment).

All the frozen poultry made it tough for someone looking to store a few pallets of grapes, but they're finally there. Contact me for details.

The grapes buckets are finally in Atlanta (actually Gainesville)! We've got frozen 5 gallon buckets of Sonoma Merlot ($120) and Suiun Valley Cab ($110) available for local pickup 7 days a week (with an appointment).

All the frozen poultry made it tough for someone looking to store a few pallets of grapes, but they're finally there. Contact me for details.

Any plans on a chicago location?..plenty of cold storage around here.:h

We were originally going to send the pallets to Chicago, but there ended up being an abundance of frozen grapes there already from other suppliers!

Hopefully we'll be sending some 2015 pails there and Dallas as well...although I've been saying that for 3 years now :0

We were originally going to send the pallets to Chicago, but there ended up being an abundance of frozen grapes there already from other suppliers!

Hopefully we'll be sending some 2015 pails there and Dallas as well...although I've been saying that for 3 years now :0

Washington DC's in the house too! Send some our way. :hug

$225 per 5.25 gallon pail of Chardonnay?? :D

Very attractive prices....

If you are interested in making quality wine then $225 for 5.25 gallons of Durell Vineyard Chardonnay would seem an attractive price. Durell Chard sells for between $60-$100 a bottle and has the highest ratings of any Chard vineyard in the nation. Making your own for less than $10 a bottle doesn't seem too bad to me...

We also have Clarksburg Chenin Blanc which makes an awesome, aromatic white @ $99 a pail ($4 a bottle).

But if you're interested in making the cheapest wine possible then concentrate is always going to be answer ;)

Last edited:
Why are the frozen grapes so much more expensive than the wine kits?

It comes down to the fruit. Most of the fruit that goes into concentrates comes from the Central Valley and costs in the $400-$800 range whereas the fruit that goes into frozen must and juice buckets is going to cost in the $2k- $6k range.

I'm not trying to talk down kits. I think kits are a great, accessible way for everyone to good make wine. They have a lot of efficiencies in shipping, shelf life, ease, and consistency.

But they're also a completely different product and experience than grape winemaking.

If you understand the California grape market or are interested in making quality wine than $225 for 5.25 gallons of Durell Vineyard Chardonnay would seem an attractive price. Durell Chard sells for between $60-$100 a bottle and has the highest ratings of any Chard vineyard in the nation. Making your own for less than $10 a bottle doesn't seem too bad to me...

We also have Clarksburg Chenin Blanc which makes an awesome, aromatic white @ $99 a pail ($4 a bottle).

But if you're interested in making the cheapest wine possible then concentrate is always going to be answer ;)

Sarcasm is obviously not needed here, you don't sound like a real sales person, to me...and my guess is that you're not.

Sarcasm is obviously not needed here, you don't sound like a real sales person, to me...and my guess is that you're not.

You spoke sarcastically and ignorantly about my livelihood. Don't be surprised that you got a passionate reply instead of a " real sales person" response.

Last edited:
You have a real poor judgement, as a site sponsor, and for someone that is trying to sell products on this site coming with such harsh comments/attacks?

No doubt who is the real ignorant here and obviously you don't need me as a customer.

What harsh comment or attack? You sarcastically mocked my pricing and then told me this was no place for sarcasm and seemed offended that I would offer an explanation of why price differences exist. I honestly don't know what you expect me to apologize for or why you're trying to make fun of my business on a thread for Atlanta Area Winemakers.

I probably am a lousy sales person and ignorant of a great many things, but grapes are not one of them. If you're not interested what we sell that's understandable, but you don't need to publicly bemoan what you haven't tried.

Ok folks that enough lets move on. I have a question, is this actually frozen grapes or must? Approximately how many gallons of finished product do you end up with? Is this basically the same type of product that Brehm Vineyards offers bt a higher quality?

It comes down to the fruit. Most of the fruit that goes into concentrates comes from the Central Valley and costs in the $400-$800 range whereas the fruit that goes into frozen must and juice buckets is going to cost in the $2k- $6k range.

I'm not trying to talk down kits. I think kits are a great, accessible way for everyone to good make wine. They have a lot of efficiencies in shipping, shelf life, ease, and consistency.

But they're also a completely different product and experience than grape winemaking.

Thanks. I probably don't have enough experience yet for something like this, but will definitely try it out when I get more batches under my belt.

I am pretty new to wine making but wine grapes direct has fantastic customer service and products.
don't know how the thread got off topic but there is no denying that the fruit offered is of a better quality than any kit I have ever made.

Ok folks that enough lets move on. I have a question, is this actually frozen grapes or must? Approximately how many gallons of finished product do you end up with? Is this basically the same type of product that Brehm Vineyards offers bt a higher quality?

I have never used brehm but from 2 buckets of pilot noir must/grapes I got 6 1/2 gallons of juice after fermentation.

I just bottled my Durrel Chard from WGD and it's fantastic. I'm proud to serve it to friends. I'll be ordering another pail in the next month or two.

(San Jose)

I just bottled my Durrel Chard from WGD and it's fantastic. I'm proud to serve it to friends. I'll be ordering another pail in the next month or two.

(San Jose)

Did you have a press or did you do it by hand? How long after pressing was it before you bottled? How many gallons or bottles did you end up with? I have no doubt this is a great product I am just looking for details.

I believe the Chardonnay and Chenin blanc are juice pails, where the Pinot noir is a must pail.

Latest posts

Back