Aroma from ferment - oxidized? nail polish remover?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machine

Reaction score
Grape juice had been pressed for weeks in fridge, adjusted sugar, acidity, tannin, tasted great and could have drank the juice as it was. Fermentation started yesterday, and I know I can expect an assortment of aromas...but some that stuck out to me were a little bit of nail polish remover (which I understand may indicate an excess of acetic acid), and an aroma that I would compare to oxidized red wine (i.e. like the smell of those last few drops of wine in a glass, if smelled the day after drinking). Are these aromas normal? Can I adjust for acetic acid if it looks like that is a problem? As for the oxidized smell should I worry that the grapes may have some oxidation from being pressed for so long, despite that they were in the fridge and the juice tastes fresh and great?

At least I'm not smelling sulphur, yet...
Thanks!

Let it finish out. Taste the actual wine as it nears finish. If the wine has no off and unexpected flavors, proceed. If it does, you might try splash racking into secondary as a first line of defense.

Latest posts

Back