Other Argentia Ridge (costco)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Head Space in fermenter,carboy,ageing vessel

A good way to put your mind at rest that air in the head space won't taint your wine is to top it off with an inert gas. You can prchase a 5 Lb Co2 bottle for about $20.00, have it filled at your local gas supplier (Praxair,Air Product or a reputable welding supply shop). You could also use argon, a liitle more expensive. Of course you will need a regulator and a hose of some sort.

I don't want to get into the discussion of food grade ect. All gasses are produced to the maximum purity. There is no food grade argon. The FDA requires no testing for it because it's not directly ingested like O2 , N2 and HE.(Breathing Gases) are. I had worked in that industry for a few years and you can be sure that the argon and CO2 that you get from a reputable supplier is very pure. Of couse we are not ingesting this shield gas either.

This is a small investment to give you piece of mind.

if it's still bubbling, then your ok. there's CO2 being produced, which will force oxygen out and protect the wine. just don't open it, until you are sure it's finished! then taste, sorbate/meta, sweeten and find some other containers! bottle 2 weeks later.

Argentia Ridge costco

That guy has been trying to sell that ridge for that price for months. It is nasty looking like Melanna said.

Well, I just started the second Ridge kit that I had. Wasn't too interested in making it but figured what the heck, before it goes bad.. this time though, before sprinkling the yeast on I dumped in a whole LOT of sugar to bring the SG up to 1.200.

Not too worried about topping it off this time :h

Thing about this, the instructions say to bring the level in the primary up to 23L... but with all of the natural sugars being metabolized, that displacement kind of screws up how far the liquid will fill the carboy.

I dumped in a whole LOT of sugar to bring the SG up to 1.200.

If that's really the sg I wouldn't be too worried about it fermenting, the yeast may not get started.

Of course it could be a typo. If it isn't a typo, where did you get the hydrometer that can measure that.

Steve

Well, I just started the second Ridge kit that I had. Wasn't too interested in making it but figured what the heck, before it goes bad.. this time though, before sprinkling the yeast on I dumped in a whole LOT of sugar to bring the SG up to 1.200.

Thing about this, the instructions say to bring the level in the primary up to 23L... but with all of the natural sugars being metabolized, that displacement kind of screws up how far the liquid will fill the carboy.

1.200? NO WAY !
How much sugar is ALOT?

Errrr, lol.. I meant, 1.120. It's been fermenting very well for the last few days.

4132105761_18b604e112.jpg

Err, That's over 16%. I think you will taste more alcohol than flavor. What yeast are you using?

Well.. I'm taking a guess even with all of the sugar that I added that I will still need to top it off with water..... if thats the case then it won't be 16% anymore... maybe closer 14 ? Hard to say...

I'll post a few pics when I rack it. This time before I added the sugar I brought the liquid level above the 23L mark and then added the sugar.... as you can see from the picture the froth is touching the lid. Its way too high in the primary bucket, IMHO.. but whatever :)

TOM: ec-1118.

Last edited:
ANy update on this Wine. I am about to start a batch this weekend. Bought the double pack on sale at Costco for $53. Not bad. Was also wondering? Since it comes with 2 Concentrait bags what if instead of making 2 batches. You just made one batch using like a Bag and a half of the concentrate.

Back