Aren't Yard Sales Wonderful

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Hit the jackpot this evening on the way in from work. Was a pretty good sized yard sale going on so i swung in for a look see and scored me 6 more 5 gallon carboys for a buck apiece.
smiley32.gif

8c9716a4.jpg

Nice deal Waldo. If I had kept my first wife I could of had all of those Mountain Valley Carboys I wanted. My ex-brother in law lives in y our neck of the woods there in Hot Springs and is/was (I guess, haven't seen them in 10 years)their national sales manager.

Small world isn't it smurf. My Sister In law worked for them for almost 15 years and they were bought out last year and they let a bunch of people go and put so much extra work on the others that Vicki finally quit a couple of months ago. I could get bottles through her but they were 12.00 each

Nice score there, Waldo! I'm jealous!!! Both my 5's are full and I need another to rack into!!

I think I need to score at one of those. I brought home about 500 pounds or more of grapes today from a picking session at the Cold Hardy Trial. The fun starts tomorrow morning when I crush them and process!

I know you will get us all some good pictures of the crushing appleman. I am off early this morning to pick some more Muscadines. They are geting close to being gone so this may be my last chance.

Found a "Treasure" at an estate sale yesterday evening. These are old glass airlocks. I have cleaned them up and going to try one on my next batch of wines. The fella I got them from said thathis Grandpa toldhim thatwill sometimes make a whistling sound. I asked if he had any more wine making supplies and he said no, that his Grandpahad quit years ago and had found these in an old cigar box as they were going through stuff for the sale. Can't wait to try one out
Oh yes......they were 25 cents each
smiley4.gif

glassairlocks.jpg

Wow....... what a great find! and a great price!

There seems to have been a lot of people around your area that use to make wine years ago, there are none around here, amazingly.

The problem I would have with those airlocks, and I am having with the newer straight sided bubbler's versus the 3 round areas on each bubbler is FRUIT FLY"S! They can get in, then when you pull the bung out it creates a suction that draws some of the water back into the carboy.

Are those glass or plastic?

Jobe - there is a really easy fix for fruit flies getting in those without a cover. Just take a small wad of cotton and stuff it in the top far enough so it doesn't blow/fall out.

Waldo- you have a true find there. I would keep a couple at least tucked away for future generations to see- maybe in a cigar box(even though I don't smoke).

Magnificent find Waldo.

Did you even get the funnel with the carboys???

I was going to suggest that you put a couple away in a curio cabinet or something else like that. They are beautiful and you're so darned lucky Waldo!
smiley32.gif
This is what happens when you don't waste time sleeping. You find fabulous deals!

Waldo,
You must be in the right part of the country!!!You always find the best stuff. PWP, We are thinking on the same lines(us being female and all). To me they are very pretty and interesting. I would have to find some way to display them.

Let us know how they work. Get that nice camera of yours and make a bubbling, whistling movie so we can see and hear. Maybe will make nice accompaniment to your flute music.
smiley10.gif
RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Waldo's Whistling Band! Waldo on flute, Carboy on whistling airlock and Catz on drums and paper scraps.
smiley36.gif

I too wouldn't use them....they should be on display or on eBay.

The music would be good..."Waldo and Friends"

Latest posts

Back