Apple wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doober

Reaction score
I am currently making 3 gallons of wine from 100% pure apple juice. The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp. of tannin per gallon. I dont have any of this and was wondering if I really needed it and can i replace it with anything else?

It calls for this for a little extra body and you can go without it. You could add some grape concentrate(I would use the white), you could add some raisins, or some bananas. All these will add the body needed but like I said you can do without.

I would use white(golden) raisins as they dont cause as much of a problem with clearing and would add between 2-3 pounds depending on how full bodied you want this wine. bananas would be used at what ratio im not sure for an apple wine but would put them on the counter till they were extremely ripe where the peels are almost all black then you put them in a fermenting bag with all your fruit and it almost disinigrates and adds body.

thanks wade. i guess ill use the raisins and add them when i start the fermentation.

I would use the golden raisins as they will not impart a brown color to your wine.

I added 2 lbs. of golden raisins which seem like alot, but i will take your advice. I put them directly into the must. How long should i let them in the must before i remove them? should i ring out the juice from the raisins when they are done?

doober:
Wade gave excellent advice, I always add rasins to my apple wine. If you put them into a strainer bag, they are easy to ring out. They will add body to your apple wine...

Latest posts

Back