Apple wine TA/PH missmatch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theTheme

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start a batch of apple wine and I'm a bit confused. I recently got a TA and PH kit so I could have more control over starting musts and here is what I'm getting:

SG: 1.085
TA: 7
PH: It's purple, I'm assuming that's higher than blue which is the last one of the chart at 4.4

Batch is 4 gallons of inexpensive store bought apple juice (no preservatives, just juice and water).

Recipe:
4 gallons apple juice (started as 4 1/4 gallons, but I reduced 3 qt by half to concentrate flavor and aid in dissolving sugar)
3# sugar
4 1/2 tsp acid blend
2 tsp pectin enzyme
2 tsp wine tannin
4 tsp yeast nutrient
4 campden tabs, crushed

I know that acids and PH interplay with each other. Should I be concerned and try to finagle this any more?

How does it taste?

I'd be inclined to go with your TA numbers over your pH numbers - sounds like you're using pH strips? They're notoriously inaccurate, with wine, fish tanks, swimming pools.. All the way around..

If it tastes good, I'd roll with it for now.. This would probably do-best, aged about a year.. So if in that year, you think you could save up ~$100 for a pH meter (MW102 is what I have), then I wouldn't sweat it too much right now..

With most fruits, you're better off getting the pH/TA right before fermentation, but it doesn't always work out that way for the winemaker (if you're still needing equipment).. And lucky for you, Apple is one of the more flexible fruits; it can handle a lot of mistakes and still come out being worth the experience.

Maybe re-check your TA, make sure its right.. And make sure it tastes good...

You did mean 0.70 % TA, right?

How does it taste?
Pretty good...like a really sweet apple juice.

sounds like you're using pH strips? They're notoriously inaccurate, with wine, fish tanks, swimming pools.. All the way around..
I am. Not sure what I will do with them now. Actually, I'm not sure what I would do anyway, I don't know how to go about changing PH.

So if in that year, you think you could save up ~$100 for a pH meter (MW102 is what I have), then I wouldn't sweat it too much right now..
It's on my list. I'd be interested to hear your opinions of use, it seems like they are all over the map from accuracy, to keeping the solution good, to calibration...it's kind of a mystery to me still.

You did mean 0.70 % TA, right?
I think so. I have the Accuvin quick test kit with the color bar on the package starting at 4 g/L as tartaric acid and going up to 11 (I would have, of course have had to buy another kit if this one only went up to 10, because, you know, it would go up to 11).

pH and TA are both acidity measurements, so to adjust the pH... Adding acids like Tartaric acid would drop the pH lower, while adding potassium or calcium carbonates (depends on the timing of the addition, pre- or post- ferment) would raise the pH higher..

Cold stabilizing also will cause tartaric acid to fall out of suspension in crystal form, causing the pH to raise

MLF will also consume Malic acid and cause the pH to go down...

Just sharing these things for information's sake, I wouldn't think you'd need to perform any of these techniques on this particular wine, but food for thought none the less

As for my MW102, it's a lovely piece of equipment. I purchased extra 4 & 7 pH solutions for calibration, as well as extra storage solution... I only use it every few months, so I calibrate it with each use, but I'm sure it doesnt need it. A worthwhile investment, for sure.

If it tastes good, I'd go with it...

And realize, when its done fermenting, that the alcohol will be 'forward', the flavors will be a little masked... So dont try to correct the acidity for a few months post-fermentation, as your mouth & the wine, will mislead you..

Let it ferment, let it finish, sulfite it and keep it topped up, get it cleared.. Let some time pass, then adjust the acidity first and the sweetness second - or ask here again and we can walk you through it..

A PH of 4.4 on apple is too high. Even tho the juice tastes good, once you have the wine it will probably be pretty flabby tasting. Apple should have a PH of 3.3-3.4 We never work with TA on fruit--we deal strictly with PH.

If you are using test strips, a winemaker should be using "narrow range" papers--the wide-range papers are not very good for winemaking. A PH meter is your best bet and is a very good purchase if you don't mind spending a little money.

Latest posts

Back