Apple wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Reaction score
OK I am trying to make an Apple pie recipe. I may try and Jack some of it. I know we cant dicuss this, just keep that in mind please with any recomendations you have. I am not asking for any info on the Jacking process or discussion regarding Jacking.

day 1 16 cans great value %100 AJ concentrate,
water to 6.25 gallons Sg 1.50
Added 4 lbs light brown Sugar 2.5 lbs regular sugar
Sg 1.82
Mixed in 1 TBS Pectic Enzyme
6 Cambden Tablets.
Mixed all well. Temperature was 55 F
Cut the heater on, letting it warm to 73 ish by tomorrow. Will pitch yeast then . Red Star Montrachet active dry wine yeast.

Would yeast energyzer or nutrient be a help?
Tannins?
Also I am not set up yet to monitor or adjust acids. But as a generality would acid usually need to be added?

Should I add cinnamon sticks now or later? Nutmeg?

Dave......Things to Ponder! Think about how you would like to construct the wine. Nose and aroma profile? Which yeast ( D-47, Cotes du blanc) preserve will give me the biggest bang of Aroma and Body? I hear quite often that after fermentation the Apple aroma and flavor is gone. This is driven by the yeast that is used. Apple wine needs gentle yeast. In regards to acid, apples are loaded with Malic acid, this acid gives the green apple tastes and smell we are accustomed. Think Granny Smith, they are high in Malic Acid, so is Winesap. The key to a good Apple wine is Variety! Did you Core and chop up apples( at least 12 lbs variety is key) in your primary? I would! Did you add medium toast french oak chips(beginning Primary)? I would. Are you planning on adding un-toasted oak powder when your S.G. gets to 1.030? I would. Once your wine gets to 1.020 are you going to add another 6 lbs of a Variety of Apples? I would.

Concentrate comes in around .7 of acid which should be good for Crisp-ness and freshness. Yet the PH is around 3.8 -3.9 which of course is not good from a spoilage perspective. If you make an Apple Wine without adjusting the PH, you will have a flat uneventful wine. The PH should be 3.1 to 3.3 of course this will bring out the Acidity more, you can go as far as 2.9 but you will need to balance with Sweetness.

You need to add Nutrient and Energizer as Apple Juice is low in Nutes, you do not want your yeast to Struggle. Hope this helps .....Cheers

Thanks, thats some great advice, I will let you know what I am able to do.

Forgot to ask if you added raisins, If not I would 2 lbs in the beginning of Primary. When your S.G. get's to 1.020 add another 1 lb.

So I would put the raisins in the bag with the Apples and remove them all when racking when PF stops somewhere in the .99s? .This is only my second non kit wine. I am bottleing some dragons blood tomorrow.

Yes put the First batch of apples and raisin in at the beginning of the Fermentation. Once the S.G. gets down to 1.020, you add the second batch of apples and raisin. Leave the first batch in for a week after you hit 1.020. At 1.020 put your second batch in leave them in for 3 weeks. The trick here is you get alcohol extraction Vs Yeast extraction, which is very gentle thus preserving the apple aroma and flavor. Think about the wine you want to create first. Cheers!

Lone....I used regular raisins for body and complexity, golden raisin would be indeed interesting! What type of flavor complexities did they add? Regular raisins will add a nice caramel note. Think about the wine you want to create! Cheers!

I was thinking more on end product color. They should really each do the same thing. More body more mouth feel more of a true wine flavor. I use golden raisins in almost anyting that will be a white when finished. And I add them at the rate you mentioned above.

That seems like a long time in the primary, without racking off of gross lees, is that because of the gentle yeast. Is it going to take that long to get down to the 0.99s, will there be enough protection from oxidization ?
Should I put it under airlock?
I was reading that the D47 does best up to 68f. That does seem like it would slow fermintation.
Is this what allows some more apple flavor to impart itself to the wine?

Last edited:
What you are looking for is full extraction of aroma and flavor compounds. I myself and many on this forum ferment to .995 or .998 before transfer to bulk aging in primary. Your wine is saturated with C02, oxidation is not an issue. I always airlock my wine from beginning to bottle. Others have there own opinion, but for me it is a cheap and easy insurance policy from unwanted invitees. Don't rush the wine let it go at its own pace. D-47 has been the favorite for whites for a long time. Mainly because of the aroma and flavor and the body enhancements that it adds. As the yeasties breakdown they release favorable compounds to the wine. D47 works really well, this is why the wine industry has used it for so long, it works very well. I've used it on whites, mead, my dragon blood variant called Sang Vrai (True Blood).

I am making a 3 gallon batch of apple wine right now, that I am using Cotes du Blanc on it smells like caramel apple.

Dave I have always been a fan of slow fermentation. If you have paid attention to your wine during the process, you will not have to worry about stuck fermentation. Remember, construct your wine first on paper before you make it. Cheers

OK, added 9.5 lbs ,precoring, of apples (Braeburn, Granny smith, fuji) 1/3 ea.
added french oak medium.
5 tsp nutrient
2 tsp energizer
1 tsp tantric acid
2 lbs regular raisins
cotes du blanc yeast( did not have D47)
2 cinnamon sticks and 1 tsp ground cloves

I dont have the means to test acid or ph yet so I went with your #s

I have it in an area that should stay around 68f.

I will update as it goes along
Thanks for all the help, I REALLY appreciate it.

Last edited:
OK, i've never used a "gentle" yeast such as Cotes Du Blanc. At a 66f temp. how long before signs of fermintation present themselves? I am pushing down the apples once a day.
Once I added the fruit my SG was at 1.090
I assume the signs of fermintation will be less dramatic? Gentle bubbles on the surface, maybe clinging to the fruit( which is unbagged).
I also assume that results on the hydrometer will be slower in presenting themselves.

Last edited:
Dave.....Visible sign of fermentation through the airlock is over-rated. If you look at your must closely, you should start to see bubbles like carbonation. The best way to know if your must is underway is to use your HYDROMETER! If your S.G. has dropped even slightly, then fermentation is underway. Sit back and let it happen. You are doing all of the right things... If it takes 2 weeks to get to dry then it takes 2 weeks, if it makes in 1 week then it does. Cheers.

Thanks
Its driving me nuts. I am working out of town and trying to get my wife to keep me abreast, push it down, etc.
she is checking the SG as I type this. (A skill I taught her Sunday night)
Im a little worried that I overheated the water when I prepped the yeast. I'll feel much better when I find some sign of Fermintation. Ill post the SG shortly I hope.

Honestly, Dave I have never proofed yeast. I just sprinkle it on top and let it ride. I have never had a wine that did not start or stalled! The apple wine that I am currently making, the yeast was a year old. Started up just fine! When you are making country wines or any other for that matter construct them first before you make them. If you do you will be rarely surprised. Cheers!

OK the hydrometer hasn't moved. Should I mgive it another day or dose it again ? what are the dangers of over dosing yeast vs letting juice sit in pail at 68-70 f for 4 days?
Im going to have the wife run the heater for a while in the lab( 2nd bathroom)

Last edited:
No need to dose it again, just let it sit. Your temp is just fine. It will get going soon.. Côte des Blancs (Davis 750), a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, has been derived from a selection of the Geisenheim Institute in Germany. It is a relatively slow fermenter, identical to Geisenheim Epernay, but producing less foam.

Latest posts

Back