Apple Spice Wine tastes yummy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the recipe! One thing though - when did you add the spices? I didn't see this in the recipe. Thanks alot!!

Russ

Thanks for the recipe! One thing though - when did you add the spices? I didn't see this in the recipe. Thanks alot!!

Russ

ahh - i may have left that out - i added the cinnamon sticks and cloves during primary fermentation.

The cinnamon sticks i crushed up and added in for the duration of the primary fermentation.

I put the cloves in a tea bag - and removed them after 2 days.

I did that so the cloves would overcome the smell or the taste of the wine.

Last edited:
do you think you would be able to use crab apples/or some crab apples with this recipe succesfully?

Yeah - they might be a little more acidic/tart - so make sure you have the right test equipment to adjust.

Then again - you may want it a little more crisp - but not sure with a fruit wine.

I know the seyval and vidal wines i am making the acidity is a little higher - in the .70 - .90 range.

Racked the Apple Spice Wine again - SG = 1.018 Acid = .60. Readings are good, it smells like a baked apple pie with just a hint of alcohol to it. Taste was awesome, i was tempted to bottle, but refrained from it :h

This is definitely gonna be a regular...

The apple wines that we have made were 100% freshly pressed juice. Reading some of the recipes, I noticed some of you just chunking up the whole apple into the primaries. My question, Is there any benefit to having the peels in your must like grape skins do in grape wines.
In our mulled apple all of our spices go into bags and stay there through primary fermentation. We use the cinn,clove lots of mashed up ginger root and a couple of sliced oranges. Yes peel and all.
We generally make two batches at a time. One spiced and one not. It is interesting that regardless of the type of fruit, the one with ginger always clears much faster. Once on an Asian Pear batch, it cleared in almost half the time.Some interesting chemistry going on there.

do you think you would be able to use crab apples/or some crab apples with this recipe succesfully?

Rica,

You should be able to use the crab apples, just check your acid.

Last edited:
Rica,

You should be able to use the crab apples, just check your acid.

it just so happens that i checked a local farmers market today to see when their apples would be in...sept.-ish...it is VERY dry here. they do make a terrific apple cider. i've not read much on here about using cider as your base. has anyone tried that?

I make mead using fresh pressed apple cider which is called Cyser and I love it. I just bottled last years batch about 1 month ago and its already pretty good but you must lnow that mead usually takes some time to come around. Ive also made a nice spiced apple wine a few years ago from fresh pressed cider with raisins, cinnamon sticks and mulling spices and just drank the second to last bottle a few months ago and it was still pretty good but losing its pizazz.

I have three apples trees in our yard, they don't all produce but I get enough for several apple pies andn 5 gallons of wine. I don't use water I press the apples and check the acid to see what I need to and add whatever amount of sugar to bring it up to 1.080. Last year I added cinnamon sticks for about 6 weeks. I tasted this wine last night and the cinnamon is just now coming forward with a fanastic apple flavor. Come October this stuff is going to be great

Come October this stuff is going to be great

sounds like you have timed this perfectly:br

i love this farms apple cider. they sell it fresh, in a cooler, in various size jugs. you can even buy it by the glass to sip while your shopping their market. are there any differences in using cider vs. apple juice?

I have three apples trees in our yard, they don't all produce but I get enough for several apple pies andn 5 gallons of wine. I don't use water I press the apples and check the acid to see what I need to and add whatever amount of sugar to bring it up to 1.080. Last year I added cinnamon sticks for about 6 weeks. I tasted this wine last night and the cinnamon is just now coming forward with a fanastic apple flavor. Come October this stuff is going to be great

Yeah mine will be ready in november - i can't wait - preliminary results were great!!!

Hey winemaker

hey winemaker how about sharing your recipe, I want to make some apple spice wine here as well later this fall when those apples get nice and ripe

Do i use Cooking apples or Eating apples for the wine or are the apples you are using a bit of both as i'm sure i wont be able to get the same type as you. I might try this one after my Ginger one i have going on just now but by the time i get home hopefully the Ginger wine should be ready to bottle.

Do i use Cooking apples or Eating apples for the wine or are the apples you are using a bit of both as i'm sure i wont be able to get the same type as you. I might try this one after my Ginger one i have going on just now but by the time i get home hopefully the Ginger wine should be ready to bottle.

I use a 50/50 combo - Fuji/Gala.

got 4 gallons in the freezer tonight! gonna try luc's freezer extraction method. i am really excited about this one!

I hope that recipe works for you - it turned out awesome for me!!

I ended up crushing and then pressing the apples - since you are going to freeze them - you will have to let me know how it turns out - see if that has any bearing on the outcome..

I use a 50/50 combo - Fuji/Gala.

What type of apples are Fuji/Gala as i live in Scotland & on an island & most likely wont get them here but will try the recipe with what is in the shops, i would assume it is eating apples. Thanks & for the Recipe.

What type of apples are Fuji/Gala as i live in Scotland & on an island & most likely wont get them here but will try the recipe with what is in the shops, i would assume it is eating apples. Thanks & for the Recipe.

fuji and gala both have a red and yellow skin...both are for eating, pies, etc. we have a prevalence of red and golden delicious here in west ky, but by what i've read, they are not the best for apple wines. like cherries, the more tart apples are supposed to be better for wine making.

Back