Apple Cyser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't remember my last batch being sour tasting, but everything from the type & amount of honey used to the amount of spices used and even the yeast used could effect the taste. We just tried a bottle of my 2 year old batch and it was very nice and the spices were very mild, just kind of in the background and I got more of an aroma & taste from the honey then the apple juice. I also used Eucalyptus Honey last time and Orange Blossom Honey this time so that will change my flavor profile.
I thought the first batch was pretty good at bottling but after 2 years it has really improved. I have a habit of just bottling the wine, labeling it and putting it away so I can something else, rarely do I try many before they are at least a year old and more often 2.
VC

I noticed that you didn't use a straining bag for your raisins and such. Why not, it makes things so much easier come racking time....lol.

Pete

I have never had a problem racking with letting everything float loosely in the must, when I do have a problem I may reevaluate, until then all is good.
VC

Racked my version of this today, is clearing pretty nice. If it ages out to taste as good as it smells now I may just become a mead fan.

20091001_070432_100_1563_Small.jpg

I'll add an ounce of light oak and let it sit till its happy.

JW that looks just beautiful! I love making meads because people have no expectations of what on earth it should taste like. It is so fun to watch them say "wow thats really good!"
You'll be happy using some oak on this one. I am going to use a med or med plus on mine.
VC

Just racked this today, covered it and put it to bed for a few months. Hopefully next time I take a look it will have started clearing. I will be adding oak at one point but again it will be after it clears. We did get a taste and the different honey sure made a difference, I liked the other one but this one is beyond my expectations and the cinnamon level is perfect. Here is a picture:

20091024_114157_DSCN5646_Deskto.JPG

VC

Believe it or not I have not forgotten about this baby.

Today I made a starter for part 2 of this (the pear version to blend)
and I'll post the rest of the pictures tomorrow once the rest has been put together.

20100123_163545_DSCN5684_Deskto.JPG

I did get this going this morning and its taken off rather nicely. Smells really wonderful! Yes Wade those are a few cloves - I'm still working on that jar with the mild cloves!

20100124_164458_DSCN5685_Deskto.JPG

I did rack the pear one the other day but between me nuking my computer & losing internet for a couple of days I forgot to post.
I pulled out the first and took a picture of both the apple & pear side by side. The apple is really looking nice - no I did not taste it. When it get a bit closer to blending time I'll taste both for a side by side comparison.

Ok, well I was going to post a picture but am getting an error message saying Only members with sufficient permission can access this page????

Now I can post pictures!

20100209_194502_DSCN5689_Deskto.JPG

I decided to play with these today. So they got racked onto oak (french med.) with a very little piece of a vanilla bean and some cinnamon to the pear. Both taste very nice just young. The bonus is they both are clearing rather nicely and I hope they continue and I won't need to help them along, however they will need filtering since I added the vanilla bean and can see little seeds floating around.

Apple on left - Pear on right
20100719_134534_DSCN5848_Deskto.JPG

Apple
20100719_134703_DSCN5847_Deskto.JPG

Pear
20100719_134840_DSCN5849_Deskto.JPG

Apple on left - Pear on right
20100719_135019_DSCN5851_Deskto.JPG

WOW !!! How did you get such a great color on them? My Apple and Pear don't come close to that.

BOB

fivebk said:
WOW !!! How did you get such a great color on them? My Apple and Pear don't come close to that.

BOB

The last time I made this it was a bit lighter in color. Only changes were the type of honey (I went to the source) and I used dark muscavado sugar instead of dark brown sugar. Also have not used any clearing agents on them. Once I rack them off the oak & spices they'll sit in the carboy for another year before I bottle them and another year after before I open the first bottle. Not for the impatient, but worth the wait.

Believe it or not these have yet to be bottled. However they are beautifully clear and now racked off all oak & spices. The Apple version is still rather tart, but the pear version is really shinning. Still thinking the apple needs something but don't know how much I want to mess with it. May sweeten it up, clear it and let hubby hook it up to Lucy.

20110827_141507_Falls_Bounty_Pe.JPG

Vcasey, I was reading through this thread and showing it to my wife. She grew up on a farm in southern Virginia and her dad kept bees for many years (boy did we used to get great honey!). Anyway, like I said, I was showing your thread to her and she said, "I think I would like something like that. May you should try it." Well, what can I say to SWMBO? I found the book you recommended on Amazon and have ordered it.

Good luck and try and get the best ingredients possible, it makes all the difference. I've made this a couple of times and lean more towards the pear, I think it just has a softer taste and I enjoy the floral aroma. And go easy on the spices, you can always add more.

Back