I made a starter using 1C. water, yeast hulls, and about a Tbs. honey. When I came back at the end of the day, it was foaming to the top of my container. I pitched it in with 1 campden and pectic enzyme. I checked it last night and this morning. It seems like it might be doing something, but if it is, very slowly. My spare “wine room” has been in the upper 60’s . I know that’s a little chilly, so I’m going to keep an eye on things and check some S.G. readings later. I’m thinking the small amount of sorbate is inhibiting my fermentation.
If this try is a bust, I’ll go to the health food store and get some unadulterated apple juice. I have a hankering for apple wine.
On a side note, that same health food store has bulk bentonite. I asked them what it was for and they said it was a dietary supplement to “detox”. I chuckled for two reasons. One, I’m a Skeptic on “detoxifying” and I know that I can get the same stuff much cheaper from a wine making supply store.