Apple Cider - Shelf Stability question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgx2

Reaction score
I just made a simple Apple Cider from pasteurized sweet apple cider from the supermarket (there were no preservatives in the juice)...

It looks good and tastes great (yay!) when I racked it today -- I also stabilized it and put in a two-stage clarifier.

Starting SG was 1.040, final was 0.996, so my math tells me I hit 5.9% ABV.

My question is simple -- if I bottle this will I have a "stable" product? Is the alcohol high enough to preserve it? If not, should I bump up the sorbate and kmeta?

I just made a simple Apple Cider from pasteurized sweet apple cider from the supermarket (there were no preservatives in the juice)...

It looks good and tastes great (yay!) when I racked it today -- I also stabilized it and put in a two-stage clarifier.

Starting SG was 1.040, final was 0.996, so my math tells me I hit 5.9% ABV.

My question is simple -- if I bottle this will I have a "stable" product? Is the alcohol high enough to preserve it? If not, should I bump up the sorbate and kmeta?

Hi SGX2, I am not sure that the K-meta and sorbate will act as an effective preservative. The cider won't ferment with those chemicals but I don't think that they will inhibit other kinds of spoilage. I don't have the evidence to back up my thinking but I suspect that 6% abv may need a very low pH to prevent the cider spoiling. I would store it in a fridge and drink it rather than age it.

Sulphite does more than prevent bacterial growth, it prevents oxidisation. If you want to ensure that your cider continues to stay nice beyond a few months then you should ensure that you have the right sulphite levels in the cider. If you think you're going to drink it all very quick then it's not so important!

Pretty much every commercial cider you can buy contains added sulphites. As long as you keep everything properly sanitised and store the cider at a stable temperature then it should last a year or more.

If the fermentation is stopped and you aren't worried about it restarting then you don't need to add in any more potassium sorbate.

Last edited:
Thanks, folks, for the good feedback. I'll probably double up on the kmeta, let it stand for a week or so, filter it and fill some 500mL PET bottles (or maybe just put do a case of 750mL wine bottles), then make sure I have one in the fridge at all times :) Should last a couple of months!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back