Apple Brandy / Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryankelley

Reaction score
I decided to try to kick it up another notch. I put one gallon of cider, 3 tubes of concentrate, about 3 pounds of sugar, pectin enzyme, and nutrient into the fermenter with Lalvin EC-1118.

The SG showed 23% potential alcohol. Start your engines!

I doubt you will see that abv...with a lalvin are a red star...closer will be 18 with out fortifying.
you could make a port out of it, and stop the ferment, and use the pearsons square to figure out how much brandy to use.

I don't think it's going to ferment to 23%. What I want is a semi-sweet end product to balance the higher alcohol I'm expecting. I see a bottle of port in my cabinet is listed at 20%...this will not be fortified, but it might have the same sugar/alcohol level. Of it might be like a bottle of apple schnapps.

Sorry Ryankelley, I had to delete your last post, distilling is illegal and we cannot discuss the different methods of distilling.

Sorry

Sorry Ryankelley, I had to delete your last post, distilling is illegal and we cannot discuss the different methods of distilling.

Sorry, I didn't think it was illegal to use that method. I just read about it and not only is it illegal, it's potentially very unhealthy as it can concentrate methanol and fusel alcohol...

Back