Anyone want to buy some snow?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Ths is getting ridiculous over here! I have 3 1/2' in my yard now and now and we are now supposed to get more tomorrow along with up o 1" of freezing rain and then another storm on Sat. and another on Tuesday again. If we get that 1' of freezing rain there is going to be some serious news about roofs and power outages. Most of us here still have about 2' of snow on our roofs despite everyone being told to remove it. Roof rakes are selling by the thousands in a 3 hour time period day by day here and until this year Ive never even heard of one. Luckily I was smart enough to grab one when they were cheap as the price gouging going on here is just sickening!

Last year I was shoveling my roof. Neighbors thought I was crazy until the news started showing roofs caving in.
It's just rain tonight for us.

Just another reason to fill the house with floor to ceiling wine racks. All that wine will act as a heat sink, support the weight of the roof, and keep you comfortable.

I have a big generator thats wired into my fuse box. Lets just hope I dont lose the phone lines as that would take my internet!!! Nooooooooooooooo! I just heard parts of Oklahoma got 2" of ice!!! ouch!!!

after the ice storm we had here in ky 2 yr. ago, i highly recommend the generator, plenty of water and food that doesn't have to be cooked. don't forget your pets/pet food. i'm trying to remember what else seemed to hurt the most during that time???...oh, yeah, plenty of deodorant, :sh rofl
after 2 days with no showers AND sleeping with the dogs for warmth, we were smelling a little :f

With our generator we can shower, have heat, cook, do laundry watch TV, and run the computers if the phone lines are still there. Running water is no problem.

With our generator we can shower, have heat, cook, do laundry watch TV, and run the computers if the phone lines are still there. Running water is no problem.

you will be sooo glad you did that wade! we "thought" we were prepared, got our old generator to our house (from the farm) only to find it didn't work:m
by then, they were price gouging and hubby refused to be gouged, so we slept in one room with the pups for 2 nights until another shipment of generators came into home depot!

We had a power outage about 6 years ago in the hottest time of the year. That was when I bought mine. I forget what the problem was, I tgink it was a blown transformer at a station but when I came home from work pretty much the whole state had just lost power and I was dripping with sweat and did not like it at all and heard on the radio after an hour that it could be out for 3 or more days. I didnt really wnt to spend as much as I did but Im not one to play around with buyig cheap products like power equipment so spent about $2500 on a good size Honda and luckily my brother is a licensed electrician.

Two inches of ice is bad, four inches like we had here in '97 seems like the end of the world. It wiped out tens of thousands of acres of forests in four days time. Forget going anywhere for days on end. Even the National Guard couldn't get the generators out to the countyside to save the dairy cows - no milking means sick and ultimately dead cows. The landscape looked like Japan after the nuking. All the treetops were broken off. Hardly a power pole was left standing and some remote areas too months to get power back. I had power back after about 10 days and almost killed myself with carbon monoxide trying to keep the pipes from freezing. Dozens of people weren't as lucky.

Wade I am glad you have the generator and I am hoping you don't need it over there. We are expecting less than a foot so it will be a mere nuisance. We are coming up on the snowy season, so your troubles will soon be heading north to us.

We have never seen a season like this. You guys are used to this stuff. You can keep it!!!

We are just starting to get the freezing rain here. Even though they are predicting up to an inch of ice here I can not believe the majority of the storms keep missing us and head up towards you guys. What a switch from last year. I also have a 7500w Honda generator.

We are just starting to get the freezing rain here. Even though they are predicting up to an inch of ice here I can not believe the majority of the storms keep missing us and head up towards you guys. What a switch from last year. I also have a 7500w Honda generator.

Dan there is a lot more behind what you are just starting to get. It hit here about 3:30 this afternoon and is still building up.
I too have a generator and I'm hoping we don't have to use it.

Look at it this way! We won't have to worry about a groundhog seeing it's shadow because it's hole is frozen shut. ;)

my college has been shutdown for 2 days now. It took me an hr to get my car cleaned off to go to work then another 30 min to get it cleaned 5 hrs later... stupid ice.

Monday night when I saw the blizzard warning, I thought "WTH, this is MO we don't have blizzards". Well, that just shows what little I know.

And, just my luck, the wine filter that I've been waiting on is sitting at the post office but I can't get there to pick it up.

Wade - If I loose power do you have room for 5? My daughter is interested in making wine but not drinking it (she's 7).

This weather is crazy. I don't mind snow but this icy crap has got to go! Messing up my work schedule!

Spring is a coming. The last one went thru yesterday. Didn't drop much snow this time, the ice hit the eastern part of the state, but missed us. We made out on this one. Feel for you guys back east, the weather shows you getting clobbered with a bunch of ice. What snow we did get came as a blizzard. Was light and fluffy, but 40 mile per hour winds kept it moving. Had a service call out in the country, you could see the tops of the center pivots, but could not see the road in front of you. Good luck to all of you. Arne.

With the last few years getting uglier around here my BIL installed a special electric plug on the backside of his house. He can plug his generator into it, then go inside and flip a switch and power a good portion of his home off of the generator including the furnace.

It's wired directly into the breaker panel and no problem when the elec. comes back on. All he has to do is flip the 3 pole switch back.

I think we will be doing that soon although we have been lucky.

We had a big ice storm a few years ago. I bought a 5000 watt generator. Powers some of the stuff in the house. Found out it will heat 50 gal of water in less than a hour and 20 min. That shower felt wonderful and there was enough warm water the next morning for the wife to have a quick shower before work. The power was on that night so did not have to heat the water with the gen. again. Should shut off everything else, tho. The water heater is just about max for that small of a generator. By the way, if you have a gasoline generator, make sure you put stable in it. Otherwise when you want to use it you will get to be a carberator mechanic. We put some stable in, run it out of gas, drain the tank and the generators all seem to run with some fresh fuel. Also, get some fresh fuel before the power goes out. Gas pumps run on electricity too. Speaking of fuell, don't think I have any out in the shed, think I will buy 5 gal. today and let it sit around the rest of the winter. it will run fine in the car, lawnmower or whatever this spring. Arne.

Latest posts

Back