WineXpert Anyone vacuum rack from primary to secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilled

Reaction score
What would be the pros or cons of using Steve's vacuum racking setup (down the side of the carboy) to rack from primary to secondary fermenter?

I'm thinking it would remove some of the C02 in the process, although the yeast would make more.

Is there any drawback? Would it do any harm?

Thanks,
Dave

most do it that way....and I bet if you ask steve, he does the exact same thing you mentioned.

Thanks James

It sure works easy that way,
I just wondered if there was any reason not to.

Dave

What would be the pros or cons of using Steve's vacuum racking setup (down the side of the carboy) to rack from primary to secondary fermenter?

I'm thinking it would remove some of the C02 in the process, although the yeast would make more.

Is there any drawback? Would it do any harm?

Thanks,
Dave

I having been using the AIO to rack from primary to secondary ever since I got my pump September 2012 and have never had a problem. Well actually I ran out of empty carboys but that's a different problem.

There's no harm in doing it. It will remove some of the CO2, but an ongoing fermentation will replace it. Mostly, it just comes down to the ease and convenience of the process.

Yes it is designed for that purpose, I am showing a pic of how I inserted a tube with a strainer and pull most of the juice out during the primary. It makes the bucket alot lighter in order to lift to press.

DSCN1026 [620x465].JPG

Thanks for all the replies

Southernchemist, Thanks. That is pretty much what I was thinking.

Shelly, running out of carboys IS a problem.

Yes, Olusteebus. I meant the inside of the carboy:D

Steve, good idea there.

It was so easy, I just wanted some assurance that there was no problem with it.

Thanks,
Dave

Chilled said:
Southernchemist, Thanks. That is pretty much what I was thinking.

Steve, good idea there.

It was so easy, I just wanted some assurance that there was no problem with it.

Thanks,
Dave

That's the whole idea - make it easier on yourself and make better wine in the process !!

Thanks Steve

Chilled -
I used the same process this weekend to go to my secondaries with my apple wine - can imagine doing it without it !!
The primaries are now full with pumpkins !!!

I was thinking, (sometimes that's a bad thing)! :h

Since the CO2 is a by product of yeast fermenting the sugar. It is basically waste created by the yeast. Getting some of it out while transferring from primary to secondary may create a better environment for the yeast to finish fermentation.

On the other hand, as long as it doesn't hurt anything, it sure is easy.

Dave

Hmm, I have generally found that splash racking (not under vacuum) is beneficial at this point. Getting a little oxygen back in there can ameliorate SO2 problems.

Latest posts

Back