anyone recoment a digital slr

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
any have experience with digital slr, good are bad.
planning to get one, under $2000.00 with lenses,xtra battery, etc..
would like to be to over ride any auto modes...

thanks.

I'm very happy with my Canon EOS 60D. I mostly use an 18-200mm lens with it. Of course, lens choice is somewhat dependent on what you plan to take pictures of. For example, on Christmas Day, I used a 28-80mm zoom because I wanted a smaller (physically lens). Taking pics of grand-daughters (5 and 2 years), it worked well. But the 18-200 would have good too.

Have you used an SLR before? Most people don't want to learn to use an SLR.

Do you have any accessories left over from a prior SLR? If they will work with new DSLR, then you probably should stick with that brand.

Do you wish to take in-camera panoramic pictures? I think the Sony DSLRs are the ones that do this best, but I haven't paid attention over the last couple of years.

Do you have large hands or small hands? Large hands, my 60D is fine. If you have smaller hands, you may find a smaller camera to be more comfortable, eg the Canon T5i.

BTW, I have no personal experience with Nikon DSLRs, and Nikon certainly has enjoyed a good reputation for many years. However, I know someone (slightly) who has had bad experiences with Nikon DSLRs. One body failed on holiday, so he bought another, and it failed in a few months. Bad luck? Or something to avoid? My original Canon Digital Rebel (I think about 8 years old) still works fine, and other folks I know still have working older cameras. Unfortunately, I don't know that many with Nikons.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks, I have narrowed it down to Nikon are Cannon.
Was avid about phtography years ago, even had my own darkroom.
Times change...I have a vacation to the amazon this year and to switzerland. THought it be good to get back into some picture taking.
I decided.
EOS 70D EF-S 18-135mm, with a few other lenses,xbattery, etc..
Thanks...

Thanks, I have narrowed it down to Nikon are Cannon.
Was avid about phtography years ago, even had my own darkroom.
Times change...I have a vacation to the amazon this year and to switzerland. THought it be good to get back into some picture taking.
I decided.
EOS 70D EF-S 18-135mm, with a few other lenses,xbattery, etc..
Thanks...

Not sure what all the differences are between the 60D and the 70D. I know that the 70D has WiFi built-in. I talked briefly to a salesman in Future Shop (similar to Best Buy), and didn't come away with any big differences in my mind. He didn't even mention the WiFi. When I asked, he said that he felt very few people would use it.

Whatever you get, hope you enjoy it. And here's my advice to all new camera owners...take a lot of pictures before you go on holidays, in order to get used to the camera. Of course, nobody follows that advice. :slp

BTW, make sure you get a couple of large fast (U1) SD cards. No more film/developing costs, so take LOTS of pictures.

If you want to see a few of my pictures follow this link. Not all taken with the 60D.
http://pics.boatnerd.com/v/shipping/cpfan2013/

Steve :pic

Last edited:
I agree with the Cannon also from what I have heard. I was also very big into photography at one time. I got tired of lugging 20 pounds of equipment every where I went and ended up using my sure shot more than anything else in the end. After I sold everything on Ebay I researched camera and had my mind made up to get another nice Cannon (my 35mm was an A-1). Just before purchasing I remembered why I quit using my big 35mm and decided to keep it small for now. Right now everything is from my phone but some day I would like to get back into it.

Steve those are great pictures but was expecting to see some of the Canadian Pacific.

Nikon D90 user here. The camera is smarter than me but I'm starting to get my head wrapped around everything. The camera is built like a tank, haven't had a single problem as of yet

I agree with the Cannon also from what I have heard. I was also very big into photography at one time. I got tired of lugging 20 pounds of equipment every where I went and ended up using my sure shot more than anything else in the end. After I sold everything on Ebay I researched camera and had my mind made up to get another nice Cannon (my 35mm was an A-1). Just before purchasing I remembered why I quit using my big 35mm and decided to keep it small for now. Right now everything is from my phone but some day I would like to get back into it.
Well I couldn't live without an SLR, but I know what you mean about the weight thing. These days I've got a smaller camera back pack with the camera body, 2 lenses, a spare battery, charger, and a couple of other things. My bad habit of not carrying a tripod has gotten even worse.

I don't always take the SLR with me, but I carry a point&shoot almost all the time. One lives in our car from spring to fall, even if it doesn't get used much. Like you, I'm using the camera phone more often, but the quality, especially in poor light, isn't very good. Plus they're not too good with quickly moving subjects like grand daughters.

Steve those are great pictures but was expecting to see some of the Canadian Pacific.
Unfortunately I haven't seen many trains the last few years, so no pictures to show off.

Steve

The cost is a bit, by the time you get everything...camera bag,xtra battery,xtra chips,one are two lenses...
but even when i was really into it , it was expensive. expecially if you shot prints and not slides...
55 to 85 and and a zoom up to 200 is all i need..
planning on going the nano route to waterproof.

Bob, was the Kansas City Southern a passenger train? I always said if I ever got a new model railroad I would like the mt mckinley passenger railroad in O gauge. I believe it is all stainless, or at least appears to be.

One of the problems with dedicated cameras is that they are notoriously poor devices for sharing images. That may not be an issue for you, but if it is then you want to find one that makes it easy to send images in the field or when you return home , to sites or people you want to post the images to. If I were you I would check out Consumer Reports and their review of cameras and use that to investigate more thoroughly the experience that owners of those cameras you flag as possible candidates.

Illinois Central and CN at the old Soo Yard in Gladstone, Michigan. I used to enjoy chasing and photographing trains. Seemed like I always had a "point and shoot" type camera with me in the car, but now I rarely have it with me. The Union Pacific Bailey Yard in North Platte Neb. was always something to see. In recent years I used a Canon Power Shot SX110. Just something to throw in your pocket and go.

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Bob, was the Kansas City Southern a passenger train? I always said if I ever got a new model railroad I would like the mt mckinley passenger railroad in O gauge. I believe it is all stainless, or at least appears to be.

Dan,
That is the Kansas City Southern business train. It was back through here over the summer and I had a chance to get on and see it.

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

Yes it would! I love train pictures, especially ones in the snowy mountains. I've used a few on my labels.

Hey Dan, you sound like my Father in Law! He's a major train chaser, and loves taking video, pics, and building N scale of course. He does a hell of a job on the graffiti on his models.

This fellow, Bryan Scott, takes some beautiful pictures of the train yards and stuff here in the 'Peg: http://www.winnipeglovehate.com/

I'd like to get his black and white of Arlington Bridge on my wall one day soon.

WOW thanks for sharing that is so cool. I would love to go cross country in a train I think. I guess I could change my mind on that after the first 500 miles.

Thanks Ray I will check the link out. I am not a train chaser but I do appreciate them. I do love looking at pictures of them also. CPfan has taken some awesome pictures of trains.

Here is one of my favorite engines. This engine is just huge! I would love to see it in action!

IMG_4352_3_4Natural.jpg

IMG_4346_7_8Natural.jpg

IMG_4361_2_3Natural.jpg

Latest posts

Back