Anyone make their own vinegar??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
Anyone make their own vinegar? Or have any resources or recipes to share on the subject? I have a batch of apple wine that just didn't come out quite right. No sense letting it go to waste. I wouldn't mind making it a vinegar.

I've tried making vinegar numerous times, and did not have much luck. Maybe I wanted too high an acid level. It is supposed to be easy. Just add the Mother of Vinegar.

I've tried making vinegar numerous times, and did not have much luck. Maybe I wanted too high an acid level. It is supposed to be easy. Just add the Mother of Vinegar.

Well, it's a little more than that. You don't want it too cold and it does need air.

I have a batch going right now. I keep it in a 1 gallon pickle jar in my liqour cabinet, which is located 1 floor away from my beer/wine room.

I tried a few times to make vinegar and failed. It was finally brought to my attention that I was using homemade wine which had sorbate in it.
Sorbate will work against the mother and you will get nowhere.

I ended up using a bottle that did not have sorbate and it was quite easy. Just have to feed her every 3 months and keep it in a warm, warm spot.

I tried a few times to make vinegar and failed. It was finally brought to my attention that I was using homemade wine which had sorbate in it.
Sorbate will work against the mother and you will get nowhere.

Thanks for the tip! I was using wine from my first batch, which I didn't like. I followed all the instructions, including adding sorbate.

Problem is: I don't want to turn any of my good batches into wine. Hmm...

Thanks for the tip! I was using wine from my first batch, which I didn't like. I followed all the instructions, including adding sorbate.

Problem is: I don't want to turn any of my good batches into wine. Hmm...

Good wine= good vinegar

If you dont like the taste of the wine chances are you will not like the taste of the vinegarImageUploadedByWine Making1434405200.004534.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1434405223.230995.jpg

Last edited:
Back