Anyone Make Jelly/Jam With Their Fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
Well, I had a bumper crop and have enough lychee (Chinese fruit) to make two 5 gallon batches of wine and plenty left over to make jelly. This was my first attempt at lychee jelly. If it is any good, it will be going to those friends who helped peel/de-stone all my lychee.

IMG_20120811_113621.jpg

IMG_20120811_131529.jpg

Looks pretty good, I use to make jam but no one was really eating it anyomre so I now use it all for wine. But I do want to make some peach butter.

Peach butter sound delicious. Some people here make lilikoi (aka: passion fruit) butter. I think peach would be a nice change. Even if no one eats the jelly, it'll make a nice, inexpensive Christmas gift for family and neighbors.

I just tried the lychee jelly. Great flavor! I'd like it 10-20% thicker but by no means is it runny. Any tips for making it thicker? More pectin?

I just tried the lychee jelly. Great flavor! I'd like it 10-20% thicker but by no means is it runny. Any tips for making it thicker? More pectin?

Did you sure sure jell? If you follow the directions it should come out great, like make sure you use the right amount of sugar, cook it the correct amount and it should come out very thick

Peach butter sound delicious. Some people here make lilikoi (aka: passion fruit) butter. I think peach would be a nice change. Even if no one eats the jelly, it'll make a nice, inexpensive Christmas gift for family and neighbors.

I make the peach butter the way my mom taught me and it is the way her mom made it. I do not mash up the peaches like you do with apple butter. I slice the peaches, add the sugar and spices and let it simmer on the stove for about an hour.

This stuff is great on fresh baked home made bread. When you bite into it, you get this nice chunk of peach and then all the spices follow.

Yep, I'm one of those that follows the directions to a "T", since I don't really know what I'm doing! :)

Back