Anyone ever try Welch's Pourable concentrate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stashu

Junior
Reaction score
I came across Welch's Strawberry Raspberry pourable concentrate a while back and thought it might be worth picking up and trying to ferment. Long story short, I never used it and I'm curious about whether or not anyone has ever tried anything like that. I have used frozen concentrates like White Grape-Raspberry with much success. I have read that you want to stay away from the "fruit cocktails" and I'm not sure if this qualifies as that. It's a 100% juice product, but there are grape, apple, pear and then the strawberry and raspberry. Sounds like a cocktail to me, but some of the "cocktail" frozen concentrates aren't 100% juice. So, I'm not sure which definition to use

I am not so much interested in drinking it (although I would if it were good) as I am in using it to get a batch of Skeeter Pee (my first batch) going. The recipe I'm using calls for a yeast slurry and it says the yeast slurry will impart a touch of the flavor of whatever ferment it came from - So what I'm hoping to accomplish is a Skeeter Pee with a subtle hint of Strawberry-Raspberry.

So, if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

Make sure there's no preservatives, like sorbate. The frozen juices don't need em cuz they are frozen, but room temperature stuff seems far more likely to have something in it that'll prevent fermentation.

Make sure there's no preservatives, like sorbate. The frozen juices don't need em cuz they are frozen, but room temperature stuff seems far more likely to have something in it that'll prevent fermentation.

There's no sorbates listed on the label.

Ingredients: Grape and apple juice concentrates. Filtered water, Strawberry and rsapberry juice concentrates, natural flavor, ascorbic acid (vitamin c) and citric acid.
Contains sulfites to maintain flavor and freshness.

I was wrong about it having Pear in it. My bad.

Interestingly, I cannot find any more of this concentrate anywhere and little to no mention of it on the Internet. That makes me think one of two things - either it sucks, or it wound up being too expensive Welch's to make a profit from.

I'm going to try it. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't ferment and I waste money on it, a little sugar, a packet of yeast and a few chemicals.
The best that can happen is that I make a decent to good wine cheaply.
The fun I get from winemaking is trying and seeing what happens.

Thanks for the responses. :ib

I successfully ferment juices like this all the time. Matter of fact, I started 10 gallons of 100% Apple Juice from concentrate with the addition of sorbate two days ago. It's working very nicely now and from past experience with this same product, the wine is going to be wonderful. You can get it at ALDI for a dollar and some change per 64 ounces. Add cinnamon and or a little allspice, sugar to 1.085 and pitch the yeast. Took two days to get started but it's rolling now. Going to be a big hit around this house in a very short time period. Made 6 gallons before and it grew legs and walked away.

the 100% juice are called "blends" not cocktails.

Just used Welch's apple/mango/passion 100% fruit blend to "cheater f-pack" a
apple/mango/strawberry wine i made from fresh fruit.

Yes you are absolutely right and the preservatives are not for the frozen juice and it is meant for red wines. My friend did the mistake of adding sorbate in sparkling wine and it got messed. :re

How does the Jalapeno wine taste? How many jalapenos per gallon do you put in?

:gb Thread Hijack :gb

They are both HOT. The apple is a little easier going down than the grape.
It's like sip.... mmm.... whoa!!!!!!!!!!

i used 13 jalapenos per gallon for each of them.

i used some to marinate some meat, but the heat didn't really come through. anyone?

Last edited:
They are both HOT. The apple is a little easier going down than the grape.
It's like sip.... mmm.... whoa!!!!!!!!!!

i used 13 jalapenos per gallon for each of them.

i used some to marinate some meat, but the heat didn't really come through. anyone?

The Japeno is also great for marinating shrimp with cajun seasoning.

Mine has 22 peppers for 2 gallons. I like Julie's husband's explaination of it. It goes something like this "good sweet taste as it rolls across your toungue then when it hits the back of your throat you realize it's too late to spit it out" Mine is about the same as you described.
sip.... mmm.... whoa!!!!!!!!!!

Many dishes can be made from wine and I tried grilled chicken with wine as, it makes the chicken very tender and soft. Red wine can be poured on Lamb also. It lifts up the taste.

Yes you are absolutely right and the preservatives are not for the frozen juice and it is meant for red wines. My friend did the mistake of adding sorbate in sparkling wine and it got messed. :re

Hi Savana,
Can you explain this a little better, I am not understanding what you mean. What did you mean by the preservatives are not for the frozen juice and it is meant for red wines. Just trying to understand so thanks in advance for clarifying.

What wines have you made, you have made several posts and you should post up an intro. And I see you are from Australia but that is not where you are posting from. Hopefully for the holidays you would be able to go home. Anyway why don't you post up a little more about yourself, everyone here is very friendly and truely enjoy reading others intros.

Hi Julie,

I know you are bit curious!!! and I am an Anglo Indian and lives in Australia and came here for holidays as mom stays here and she is not well at all :(

I put my steps in to the wine making recently and the main interest to be the part of this forum is to learn and know different wine making techniques which I feel very important for me to grow myself as a professional wine maker as, I am a complete wine lover!!!

Hope you got me right !!!

Hi Julie,

I know you are bit curious!!! and I am an Anglo Indian and lives in Australia and came here for holidays as mom stays here and she is not well at all :(

I put my steps in to the wine making recently and the main interest to be the part of this forum is to learn and know different wine making techniques which I feel very important for me to grow myself as a professional wine maker as, I am a complete wine lover!!!

Hope you got me right !!!

Thank you Savana for explaining and welcome to winemakingtalk. You should talk a little more about the wines you are making this way we can help you through the process

Back