Anybody got a recipe for...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Rocky

Reaction score
...Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog?

I love the stuff. It is sold in liquor stores in PA, but I haven't looked around here. Thought maybe we could make our own if we could get a recipe.

<DIV id=ingredients>1 1/2 c. Egg Beaters (6 eggs worth)
4 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1 c. rum or brandy
ground nutmeg for garnish

Thanks Waldo.
Are egg beaters safer to eat raw than raw eggs?
Or does the Rum and/or Brandy take care of that problem?
smiley2.gif
Edited by: Miss Rocky

Egg beaters are pasteurized, so there should be no problem. That's probably why they are recommended. I doubt Waldo is worried about the cholesterol.

They have a better egg flavor to me than most store bought fresheggs.

Waldo said:
They have a better egg flavor to me than most store bought fresheggs.

Talk about an oxymoron- "store bought" and "fresh eggs" just don't seem to go together.
smiley9.gif

My wife is always calling me an "oxy" "moron"
smiley5.gif
, so I'm an expert on them!
smiley4.gif

Scotty found this recipe on the Internet:

Home Made Egg Nog
By Charles Patridge
Great for holidays! Recipe below makes about 6 quarts of delightful drink.

1 dozen large eggs
1 Quart of heavy whipping cream
2 Quarts of milk
1 Pound 10x confectionary sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 gallon empty container (say, an empty plastic milk container)
1 1/2 gallon empty container

1. Separate eggs into egg whites and egg yolks into 2 bowls.

2. Whip egg whites until stiff (easier if 1 cup of 10x sugar is added first beforwe whipping)

3. Whip heavy cream until stiff (easier if 1 cup 10x sugar is added first before whipping) in separate bowl.

4. Pour whipped egg whites, whipped cream and 2 quarts of milk (any kind of milk will do) into VERY LARGE bowl and mix thouroghly.

5. Add remaining sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla extract into large bowl and mix thoroughly, again.

Now comes the "good stuff". You can add whatever "spirits" you like to the above mix if you wish to have Yultide Egg Nog, or just leave plain as is for the kids, or add the spirits in a single serving as desired.

Plain Mixture will keep good for about 5-6 days in the refrigerator, longer if spirits were used. You can also add nutmeg or cinnamon as a topping if you like the taste of these spices.

Takes about 1 hour from start to finish (including cleaning up the bowls, utensils, etc.) And you will need at least a one gallon container plus a half gallon container to put the mixture into when done mixing. Shake jug thoroughly before pouring a drink EACH AND EVERY time.

Very fattening but delicious!

Latest posts

Back