Any suggestions on these kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmo206

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start four new kits and looking for suggestions on them the 1st kit is Vintagemaster STYLE CHIANTI and the 2nd is Vintagemaster PINOT BIANCO 3rd is Vino Italiano Merlot Red the 4th is Vino Italiano Chardonnay white. I have not started any of them yet most likley by the weekend they are all 6 gal kits

gizmo, I am not familiar with any of those kits but I did look them up on Amazon. They appear to be 5.1 liters juice kits, which means they are highly concentrated and will require about 18 liters of water to be added. My experience is that the greater the amount of juice provided in a kit, the better the kit and thus the better the wine. I use a minimum of 15 liter kts. This is not a hard and fast rule and there are exceptions, particularly in white wines.

I would expect that the wine produced by your kits will be very "thin" and the benefit you will gain from making these four wines is the experience you will acquire. I would not begin experimenting with additives on the first try but I suggest that, instead of making all four wines, you start by making only two, a red and a white. See how that turns out and talk to people on this forum about what can be done to improve the next two wines, e.g. adding raisins, bananas, other fruits, etc.

Good luck with your project and keep us up to date on your progress.

I am getting ready to start four new kits and looking for suggestions on them the 1st kit is Vintagemaster STYLE CHIANTI and the 2nd is Vintagemaster PINOT BIANCO 3rd is Vino Italiano Merlot Red the 4th is Vino Italiano Chardonnay white. I have not started any of them yet most likley by the weekend they are all 6 gal kits

Most wine makers with kit experience shy away from low end or budget kits because the difference in quality from better (and more expensive) kits is substantial - far greater than the the difference in price. Having said that, it makes sense to start with a lower cost kit to save some money and get experience provided you recognize the kit's limitations. In short, you'd be doing kit wine making an injustice by finishing a low end kit, then concluding kit wine making is not worthwhile. Thus, my first suggestion is to complete a kit, get experience, create some OK table wine, and then move up.

My second suggestion is in your choices. Low end kits tend to be thin, without much substance. This will show up more readily in reds, so I suggest the Pinot Bianco.

Thank's for the comment's should i just make them a 5gal batch or stay with the insturction's. I have made one batch before it was a moscato truned out ok a little dry but i enjoyed it did get better after a few months.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what's the difference in Reserve Du Chateau ONTARIO STYLE SAUVIGNON BLANC and NEW ZEALAND SAUVIGNON BLANC also AUSTRALIAN PINOT NOIR/CAB. SAUV. and BC STYLE PINOT NOIR

Can anyone tell me what's the difference in Reserve Du Chateau ONTARIO STYLE SAUVIGNON BLANC and NEW ZEALAND SAUVIGNON BLANC also AUSTRALIAN PINOT NOIR/CAB. SAUV. and BC STYLE PINOT NOIR

Well, most obviously the difference is allegedly the grape source, 'Ontario style' vs 'NZ' & the AU is a blend while BC style is not. You may get a better response if you get your thread moved to the KITS section.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I would buy one really good kit instead of 2 very low end kits. You will most likely end up disappointed with these two kits.
For the same price you could get a decent kit from Either RJ Spagnoles, Wine Expert or Mosti Mondiale, these are the leading wine kit manufacturers that have proven success.
As Rocky stated
They appear to be 5.1 liters juice kits,
these will most likely produce really weak wines.

If your looking for a lower end kit try the fruit ones like Island Mist or Orchard Breezin.
These are fun and can drink right away. I added more sugar to the primary to up the alcohol level. If you dont your gonna get a wine cooler.
If your looking for quality wine then go for an upper end kit and plan on ageing it for a long long time...I like the lower end fruit kits while I plan on aging the higher end ones. They will give you experiences and they're fun to give away as gifts. I wont be giving away my good stuff lo

Latest posts

Back