Any homemade basket/juice press plans?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinegar

Reaction score
Pretty broke after 5 surgeries since August, looking for an inexpensive diy to get the most out of my fruit.

two buckets. drill holes in one, put fruit in a bag in the bucket with holes in. use other bucket to press the fruit.
Yeah building the basket would be the easy part I have no idea how to build the rest of it lol

There are several threads with several approaches in the search function on the menu bar. My mom used a flour sack hanging from the kitchen cabinet with might get 40 to 50% extraction. I am lazy so I put umph on the bag, ,, and usually get 80% extraction.
Example
*one gallon is small and I am tempted to say not cost effective to manufacture.
*my mom’s answer was a press bag hanging from the kitchen cabinet pull over a bowl, twist for pressure
*my answer is a threaded rod frame to push a press bag with a reverse bar clamp, the basket is PVC pipe with holes, mostly I use a six inch by 20 inch but I built others sizes too. There are a number of variations on WMT. A tall skinny basket is more efficient than a squat basket. Constant load is important, commercial folks do this with hydraulic (home a pneumatic cylinder).
*to date I freeze apples rhubarb, raspberries, mulberry, etc and then press. When I get above a bushel I will look toward a small grinder. Yes large/ hard particulate is difficult to press, but freezing breaks tissue such that you can squeeze juice by hand out of single apples
*as a start look for a pail press on WMT with nylon press bag. Efficiency is about 50%, similar to my mom’s twisted hanging bag.
*for gallon volumes a juicer is worth looking at

I can’t operate, makeing country wine without a press
View attachment 75916

Latest posts

Back