Any guides?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaerick

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place to find a guide to yeast?

ANY place that has more about yeast than a copy of the manufacturers website?

I'd also like to see some recommendations on similar yeasts from different manufacturers. As an example one brew shop was out of the yeast I needed so I had to travel another 30 miles to the next. It would be nice to know for next time if I could have just substituted another yeast.

There are literally volumes written on yeast, the different strains, their unique characteristics and attributes but my experience has been that all the information I need is provided from the information provided by a combination of either the manufacturer info on their web siteor what I have learned from fellowwinemakers as to what strain will give me the results I desire or which will work better than another in any given situation.I know of no independent comparison of the different brands, types of yeast available to the home winemaker. I would think that the owner of the brew shop should be knowledegable enough to have made a recommendation before you drove that extra 30 miles. Hey, next time, give George a call, I know he can help you out

While I realize Scott Labs is geared toward the professional, they have started building relationships with some online distributors to carry "smaller" quantities for homewinemakers.

However, they do have a catalog which is sort of good reading and provides some additional information. Again...is geared toward the higher end...but in the end pretty much anything can be reduced to the small home winemaker.

http://www.scottlab.com/products/fermentation/default.asp

Back