RJ Spagnols RJS Cru Sauvignon Blanc Kit - Tweaks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
Anyone make this New Zealand Sav Blanc kit? Did you follow the instructions from the manufacturer strictly? Coming from wine making from grapes it seems a little odd. They recommend fermenting in a sealed primary fermenter and just sprinkling the yeast on top - no yeast inoculation or anything.

I’d imagine they know the best for their kits but was curious if anything tried anything different

I suspect the instructions are meant for complete newbies, who might not know how to make a yeast starter. Or why you would want to. I would ferment in a bucket, stirring twice/three times a day until the SG gets to 1.020, then seal under an airlock.

Agree. That is what I was planning to do. Thanks for the confirmation.

I almost never use the EC1118 yeast that comes with most kits. for Sauv Bl I'd use D47 or QA23. I always rehydrate the yeast. 15-20 grams of oak in primary. You can certainly ferment in a sealed container, I used to always do that. However, it's not really necessary and if you use a yeast like D47 or QA23 it's good to add some nutrient when fermentation is about 1/3 complete.

I made it many times. I swap out the yeast and add the zest of 1 grapefruit.

I almost never use the EC1118 yeast that comes with most kits. for Sauv Bl I'd use D47 or QA23. I always rehydrate the yeast. 15-20 grams of oak in primary. You can certainly ferment in a sealed container, I used to always do that. However, it's not really necessary and if you use a yeast like D47 or QA23 it's good to add some nutrient when fermentation is about 1/3 complete.
Next one I’ll use the D47 as it’s my go-to for white wines. I used the supplied yeast as I wanted to follow the instructions as this is my first kit. It’s fermenting open right now covered with a cheese cloth in a VC tank. Believe I’ll throw the lid on in a few days when the SG goes down

I made it many times. I swap out the yeast and add the zest of 1 grapefruit.
Delicious! That's my go to now for this kit or any Sauvignon Blanc I make.

Back